HELP!! I flooded my camera...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

granthammer

Registered
Reaction score
I just returned from my dive trip to Cozumel. I logged a dozen dives and took my brand new Olympus stylus 400 camera and pt-016 housing (bought it for the trip) down past 100 ft without any problems. But one day I decided to go snorkeling and then my housing flooded! The camera won't power up or nothing. Does anybody have any suggestions on the best way how I can get this fixed?

granthammer:
I just returned from my dive trip to Cozumel. I logged a dozen dives and took my brand new Olympus stylus 400 camera and pt-016 housing (bought it for the trip) down past 100 ft without any problems. But one day I decided to go snorkeling and then my housing flooded! The camera won't power up or nothing. Does anybody have any suggestions on the best way how I can get this fixed?

Call Olympus and talk to the tech dept. When my 5050 flooded, I sent it in and got it swapped out for $179.-. They might have something going for the stylus too.
http://www.scubaboard.com/t44817.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/t46997.html
Good luck,
Lisa

Bummer .... if it was completely flooded, then chances are there's nothing you can do to fix it. Best bet is to try to have it replaces with a refurb. Did you have flood insurance? If through DEPP, send the camera in right away on a claim.

warren_l:
Bummer .... if it was completely flooded, then chances are there's nothing you can do to fix it. Best bet is to try to have it replaces with a refurb. Did you have flood insurance? If through DEPP, send the camera in right away on a claim.

I didn't get the housing untill a couple of days before I left so I didn't have time to submit DEPP. Will I still be covered if I do it now?

I don't think you will be. It's kind of after the fact at this point. I would try Lisa's suggestion and see if you can get a refurb through Olympus. If they don't have the stylus 400 and they upgrade you, your housing probably won't work. I would do this quickly so that you might be able to return the housing if it's brand new.

granthammer:
Will I still be covered if I do it now?
LOL....I hardly think so! You would insure an already flooded camera and expect them to pay to repair or place it? Luckily insurance doesn't work that way!

My condolences on flooding your housing. I had the same experience a few weeks back.
There is a slim to none chance of saving the camera. The previous advice of calling Olympus America for their flat rate repair is the best option. They will most likely deem it "beyond economic repair", They will swap it out for a repaired camera for a flat rate if they have your model. The rate varies by camera model. If not, they offer an upgrade which may be of no use to you unless it fits in the same housing.
I purchased a refurb off the web for $239. as Olympus did not have my model.
In the event they do not have a repaired model to give you they will not charge you to look at your camera if you decide not to get an upgrade and tell then to toss yours.
If you buy a refurb on your own I suggest you keep the flooded camera to use when you test your housing before putting another camera in it.
This webpage on my PT-010 site gives additional info on the repair program.
I did not have insurance on my camera. I choose to use refurbs for underwater use as they are cost effective should replacement be necessary.
Good luck.

I guess it depends on the severity of the flood....I bought a new camera (neded to upgrade anyway) after flooding my last rig. A piece of the wrist trap cord got caught in the latch when clasping it shut. The camera slowly but surely came back to life after about 3 weeks. At first it wouldn't do much at all although I don't think it was ever completely dead. I left all ports open having removed mem card and battery and would leave the camera in my truck (windows up, but not on dash where I thought it might get fried)....anyway....I would put a battery in every couple days and little by little it came back to life. The LCD screen was the toughest. it would work for a bit then fizzle out. Work for a day then not for three. It's been 100%for about 3 months now and i just keep it as backup. although upset at the time I am glad that it forced me into a new camera. The difference from 3 to 4 megapixels and 2x to 3x optical zoom was worth it. maybe your cloud will have a silver....let me shut up By the way the camera was a canon S230 and bought S400

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom