Help - getting my certification near Claremont, California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

charlier

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi all, I usually post from my home in Singapore.

I want to give my 21 yr old daughter an open water certification class as a graduation present. She is a strong swimmer and comfortable in the ocean, Too bad, we did not think about this while she was a Claremont undergrad - she could have taken the class as a PE class. This summer she is working at the Claremont colleges and wants to get certified, close to Claremont, at least the confined water sessions, etc.

Does anyone gave any suggestions for good and professional PADI or SSi instructors or dive shops located near Pomona ir Claremont. Our plan us for her to visit her dad, and go to Indonesia and/or PNG. Suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Sport Chalet
13041 Peyton Drive
Chino Hills, CA 91709
(909)627-8996

Do a search on Scuba Schools of America and Rusty Berry. I think you will find that it is a shop to be avoided at all costs.

Hi

Thanks for the heads up here. I have no way to evaluate instructors or scuba stores from afar. More suggestions are welcome. If we can not find a good local alternative, perhaps I will take her to Bali for her OW certification.

While in Asia, after she completes another 10 dives, she will take a Nitrox course. I might work with her on deep dives, since we commonly dive at about 25-35 m. cheers, charlie

Sport Chalet
13041 Peyton Drive
Chino Hills, CA 91709
(909)627-8996

Do a search on Scuba Schools of America and Rusty Berry. I think you will find that it is a shop to be avoided at all costs.

Hi

I do not believe the Chino Hills, Sport Chalet are doing scuba classes...that is where I had my OW years ago, but I believe they stopped in 2010.
The Glendora and Rancho Cucamonga, Sport Chalets still teach Scuba and as an option check out Sharky's Eco Diving in LaVerne. Though I never took a class from them, I like what I have seen on the boats and the events that their teachers were involved and the quality of their students and it is close to Claremont...... link is here: http://www.sharkysecodiving.com/index.html .

There is also the sport chalet in Miraloma that has classes. I have taken several there and found all of the instructors to be great. I just finished my dive master with them.

I'd recommend Sharky's Eco Dive. That's probably the closest non-Sport Chalet quality shop.

Or she can drive to San Gabriel which is half an hour away and go to Ocean Safari Scuba. If it matters, they speak at least two different Chinese dialects at that shop. And good old fashion American, too.

Ocean Safari Scuba in Los Angeles. Training From Basic Scuba Diver To Instructor, Local Channel Islands Trips, International Diving Expedition Trip, Equipment Service, Equipment Sales

Thanks for the suggestions. I or more likely, she will check out Sharky's Eco Dive. The web pages seem fine. My other option is just getting her certified in Bali. I'll get back to everyone after she visits Shark's.

I do not believe the Chino Hills, Sport Chalet are doing scuba classes...that is where I had my OW years ago, but I believe they stopped in 2010.
The Glendora and Rancho Cucamonga, Sport Chalets still teach Scuba and as an option check out Sharky's Eco Diving in LaVerne. Though I never took a class from them, I like what I have seen on the boats and the events that their teachers were involved and the quality of their students and it is close to Claremont...... link is here:http://www.sharkysecodiving.com/index.html .

+1 on Sharkys

The Glendora and Rancho Cucamonga, Sport Chalets still teach Scuba and as an option check out Sharky's Eco Diving in LaVerne. Though I never took a class from them, I like what I have seen on the boats and the events that their teachers were involved and the quality of their students and it is close to Claremont...... link is here:http://www.sharkysecodiving.com/index.html .

Ditto - Sharkys will not disappoint

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom