Help for a NEW photo bug?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carldarl

Contributor
Reaction score
I am brand new to underwater cameras. Haven't even taken it to the bathtub yet. :) I have a Nikonos IV-A and 50 strobe with extension tubes. Next week I am going to Roatan and Belize so I would like to get started with basics. Here are some of my questions...

What print film is most fool proof for a beginner?

Should I mess with the strobe or just shoot with natural light and faster film?

What are the safest aperature settings for basic seascape shots?

Any suggestions for simple getting started tips?

Any suggestions on books to purchase that will help?

I realize my limitations and would rather come back with decent beginner shots than with no acceptable advanced shots. Any help would be gratly appreciated.

'P'

I have been using 400 speed, print, Fuji, but will probably switch to a less grainy 100 speed. Fuji seems to have good color saturation. I have been doing prints, but from reading around abit may try slides.

Much deeper than 15 feet or so your colors bleed out leaving everything blue. Use the strobe and use the arm length aiming technique (hold the camera with the strobe attached at arms length and make sure the strobe is pointing right at you) much beyond arms length will color fade pretty quick.

Seascape or underwater? Check on the flash body, usually it has a settings chart. Usually just go with what it suggests in the camera book. If you don't have one, set it so that the bracket lines (look on the front of the lens) bracket the distance you expect to shoot in.

Nope, looking for a book myself.

Mike

I use a V and started out with ASA 100, bracketing f5.6-f8-f11. f8 worked out the best with a 20mm lens shooting at aprox 3'. This can change with your subject ie bright subject reflecting light close it down 1/2-1 stop dark subject open 1/2-1 stop

Run out and get Jim Church's Essential Guide to Composition. It's a great book for everyone (I think it should be in every UW Photogs kit) but especially for Nik users as that is what he uses and he lists the settings and does "how to's" - it'll be extremely useful for you.

With the extension tube you will want to use something like f16 or f22 and your external strobe. You extension tube probably says what works best...I haven't used one for so long I can't remember!

Keep your shutter speed fairly high - at least 1/125 - so you minimize any camera movement and can freeze action. The higher your shutter speed the deeper the blue the background water will be...you can even make it black to isolate your subject by going really fast (1/800 etc).

I would use 100 speed film. I prefer Fuji, Kodak tends to more blue. I also used to use Agfa (in a red box) can't remember what it was called but it did an outstanding job on colours like purples, pinks and oranges. And it was cheaper :)

Remember your strobe is only good to light a small portion of a wide sceen - I recommend that you practice at home on land to get a feel for how much light reaches your subject and to practice aiming etc. And your strobe is only good for a few feet. Probably 6 at the very very most...try to stay max 4' or so from your subjects.

For your first shots, try to concentrate on slow or no moving subjects. This allows you to take the time to make sure you have the correct settings, that your strobe is aimed properly and that you have the subject framed well. The slower you dive and the slower/fewer your movements, the closer you are going to be able to get to skittish critters like fish.

If you can, get your films developed ASAP. It's only be seeing what you did right and wrong in the last dive that you will improve - otherwise you run the risk of doing the same error on all dives.

Good luck, have a great time, watch your air and get those pictures up for us so we can live vicariously!

Carl, welcome to the sport of twice-as-expensive-as regular-diving!
Here's a few thoughts for you:

What print film is most fool proof for a beginner?
ISO 400. At this stage, you can really use the extra depth of field and shutter speed. Your experience will tell you when to switch to 100.

Should I mess with the strobe or just shoot with natural light and faster film?
Both. Shoot ambient light for a few rolls, then try the strobe. If you can get the photos souped the same day as you shoot them, this will help the learning curve immensely.

What are the safest aperature settings for basic seascape shots?
At depths of up to 60', ISO 400 film, sunny day, use f8.0.

Any suggestions for simple getting started tips?
Your O-rings are the lifeblood of your camera. Do a search here to find out more about o-ring maintenence. Also, view the rinse bucket as a neccessary evil, and don't let your camera live in it like a hot tub.

Any suggestions on books to purchase that will help?
Alcina's suggestion is excellent.

I realize my limitations and would rather come back with decent beginner shots than with no acceptable advanced shots. Any help would be gratly appreciated.
Also, be very careful about closing and sealing the back door of the Nikonos IV...it's that cameras' achilies heel.

All the best, James

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. They were all very helpful. I ended up using 400 speed film and shot most without a strobe. While I was a little disapointed with the muted colors at depth, I felt I had fewer tasks and was able to concentrate on composition and setting.

The good news is no flooding and went to 100+/- feet with no problems. New O'rings and silicone did their job. Next trip will be with strobe for all shots and remain with 400 film for now. A few changes each trip.

I appreciate the help and will post some pictures when I have some acceptable shots.

ITS FUN and adds a new dimension to diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom