Help finding replacement buckle for US Divers Blades

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcxd45

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I have an old pair of US Divers Blades missing one of the buckles.
I ordered a replacement set online that said it fit all US Divers, but the buckle was too small for the post.
Having trouble finding more info on this, I hear about converting to spring straps...do they fit any post?
Any help would be appreciated.

Are they the original blades or the blades 2?

I have springs on my original blades and may have the buckles/straps kicking around.

In any case, springs are the way to go. There some generic sets that I like with with the s hook which is bent around the post. Pirahna used to have them. I don't care for the ones slip over the mushroom and then require tying down.

Best ones are the ones I made from springs purchased from Mcmaster Carr, hardware from home depot and cave line. I'll try to find the thread with instructions.

I believe spring straps are the best solution. While there is some variation is size and design of those buckles, I bought spare plastic buckles for my Blades from Leisure pro many years ago and they were just a generic strap with buckles.

Also, make sure you are installing the replacement correctly. Remove the male part of the buckle attached to the strap. Post should go through the larger hole and then you pull it back to snap it into the smaller hole.

I could be wrong but I thought the post size was pretty standard, maybe you just need to apply more force. It can be hard to get even the original buckles on them, it's a fairly tight fit (as it should be or they'd be coming off.) My husband and I have had different sets of generic spring straps for our old Blades bought without concern for post size and they were fine.

(Love those old blades, when I lost one I bought a pair just like them on eBay - now I have a spare for the next time the ocean gets hungry!)

(Love those old blades, when I lost one I bought a pair just like them on eBay - now I have a spare for the next time the ocean gets hungry!)
I've had my first pair since 1999. A couple years ago I picked up a spare pair on eBay. Brand spanking new in the original packaging. the foot pocket badly needs some breaking in.

What an amazing fin. On par with Mares avanti quatros. I don't know why USD ever tried to re-invent it.

Yes, I am installing them correctly.
Comparing the old buckle to the new buckle, both hole sizes (the initial and the lock positions) on the new buckle are around 20% smaller.
I'm going to give the DIY spring straps a try, always love custom hardware!!
Thanks
John

Fin Spring Straps

Here is the link to Piranha straps

---------- Post added ----------

You want to look at these..
http://www.piranhadivemfg.com/category/Fin-Straps-for-Post-Type-Fins-122

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom