Help! Dive log question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've established some criteria for myself on logging dives, and it goes along with what a majority of people have posted already, what are you logging for?

I basically call it a dive if: it is 15 ft or lower, and it is 10 mins long or I use 1000 PSI. There are exceptions to this though:

I also log it if: we aborted due to reasons unforeseen
(too strong current, equipment failure, etc.)
OR if I learn something really valuable
ex: I was setting floats once, and my buddy went ahead of me whilst I was reeling in the line. Well, it got tangled, and I started to sort it out before it got really bad. My buddy was ahead, didn't see me stop, and kept going, viz was about 5 - 10 ft and it was a 100m line. Needless to say, he kept yanking on the line and making me angry, and screwing up the line even more. Lesson: a buddy swims beside you, or slightly behind, so that if I stop he will too. Now, I am able to avoid this situation.

Why log these?

Aborting dives, and showing you are level-headed and won't push it if the conditions don't warrant is just as important in my opinion as underwater experience. Sure, I dont' get to add to my 'dive number', or my uw dive time... but its still logged the same. (Plus, if I need a certain 'number' of dives, DANG!! I have to go diving again!!!).

Second, is any time I learn something, I want to write it down, so if I explain to someone else why I do things the way I do, I can show them my log; or even just to remind me.

To dive is to learn, to log is to remember.

UNless your an instructor, your pool dives are likely some of your most IMPORTANT dives.

Your there to practice some skills, and probably learn more than on your typical dive. I personaly log everything where I use my SCUBA equipment.

Not for numbers, but for a record. More complete = better.

Hey, this input is great; thanks everyone! It’s always great when everyone agrees! ~lol~

Keep it coming

~<//><

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom