HElp: Condensation in Oly 400/PT-016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buccaneer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Here's twhat happened:
Brand new housing- I followed all the recomended submersion tests before using including lubing o ring and inserting silica pack.

The dive:
Total time :51min Max Depth: 52 ft
water temp: 55 degrees F
While swimming out u/w to a small reef at the max depth range, I would stop along the way, taking various pictures. After each shot, I would automaticaly turn the camera off using the "quick view button" to conserve the battery. I am also watching the housing closely, since it is the first time it has been used. everything looks great, with no moisture whatsoever. I get to the reef, and shoot several more pics. When I took my last pic, the housing looked perfect. But, after my last pic, I forgot to turn the camera off, and it stayed on as I started my return swim u/w. About halfway back (aprox 50yds/35min into dive) I stopped to take another pic, and noticed that I had left the camera on, and that the housing had condensation all over the inside. I turned it off, and hurried to complete the rest of my swim in. By the time I got to shore, the condensation was so bad that it was running in drops inside the housing.
So what was the problem? I thought maybe leaving the camera on caused it to heat up, and with the colder water temp that caused it?? Should I make sure I turn it off between pics? Anyone else have this problem?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom