Help, computer problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Veitch

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Had a power failure today and seems to have killed my pc

On start up all i get is the Windows Screen and it just keeps going and going.

I then went to safe mode and all options lead to the same thing:

it gets stuck on Systems32/mup.sys

i have googled it and found some forums talking about it, seems fairly common but none of the solutions i have found work for me. Cant even get the boot up disc to be recognized so i can try a repair.

Anyone had this problem or know any solutions? Reformat is not an option

Thanks

What version of windows?

for mup.sys problems thats Winders XP :)

few options:

1) Boot off the XP CD and enter the "recovery console"
2) type "diasable mup" and hit enter (with out quotation marks)
3) reboot

--------------
2nd option- after booting up into DOS mode or with a DOS boot disk (www.bootdisk.com and use any ole win98 boot disk w/cd support).
D:
cd i386
expand mup.sy_ C:\windows\system32\mup.sys

Mike Veitch:
Had a power failure today and seems to have killed my pc

On start up all i get is the Windows Screen and it just keeps going and going.

I then went to safe mode and all options lead to the same thing:

it gets stuck on Systems32/mup.sys

i have googled it and found some forums talking about it, seems fairly common but none of the solutions i have found work for me. Cant even get the boot up disc to be recognized so i can try a repair.

Anyone had this problem or know any solutions? Reformat is not an option

Thanks

If Colin's suggestion doesn't work then It's a good idea to start by determining if it's a hardware or a sofware problem. It sounds like it's starting to boot ok but to be sure boot it from the CD and then run "chkdsk" on your harddrive. These kinds of problems don't usualy just appear.
If you weren't fiddling with it then it's quite possible that you have had a little hard disk issue.

If you *were* fiddling with it then do whatever it takes to get it started up in XP and then then look at the recovery points and recover to a point in time before the fiddling. One warning about that -- make a backup of your documents first.

R..

Double check to make sure your CD is your first drive checked in the boot order. If your using that first, with an XP CD in your drive you will be able to play 'follow the prompt' into a DOS screen to enact the commands.

Incidentally, once you get the PC up and running, back up your information and prepare to do a reinstallation of the operating system or system restore from the manufacturers disks. Once the OS is broken it never seems to run right again after a repair.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Looks like booting off the disc is the way to go.

Unfortunately i can't get it to boot off the disc. In setup Boot sequence the topmost option is "onboard or USB CD Rom drive" but it just won't spin the disc, gives me a beep, then press f1 to continue or f2 to run setup. I am then back in the same ol situation...

Have tried all 3 disc drives too....

grrrrrrrrrr

I am running XP media edition

Mike Veitch:
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Looks like booting off the disc is the way to go.

Unfortunately i can't get it to boot off the disc. In setup Boot sequence the topmost option is "onboard or USB CD Rom drive" but it just won't spin the disc, gives me a beep, then press f1 to continue or f2 to run setup. I am then back in the same ol situation...

Have tried all 3 disc drives too....

grrrrrrrrrr

I am running XP media edition

How did you change the boot sequence?

R..

Mike,

Another question. What, exactly do you mean when you say "it gets stuck on Systems32/mup.sys"

How did you determine that it was mup.sys?

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom