Help choosing reef socks and Force Fins please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snork7

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi everyone, I've browsed the boards quite a bit. I snorkel at least once a year, in November I'll be going to Bora Bora/Moorea for snorkeling. I always get foot cramps and then end up slowly snorkeling around as I can no longer wear fins.

The only reason I would be purchasing Force Fins is because of these major toe/foot cramps. I don't mind the hefty price tag if it'll keep me cramp free. No shops locally carry this brand so I can't try it on in person.

It seems like the Original Force Fin would suit me best, right? I wear a women's size 8-8.5 (I usually go with 8.5 if I wear socks) and have average width. I need help decided on some specifics please:

1. Is Original Force Fin the best fin type for me?
2. What size should I go with? I have very small ankles. I will be wearing reef socks because of the rocks/fish in BB/Moorea. (Will I ever be able to wear the fins without reef socks or do I go a size up because of the socks?)
3. I also need recommendations for reef sock brands as the one's I tried are narrow and compressing my feet. I tried Tilos and I'm getting foot cramps just wearing them. I suppose I need to find one for wide feet? Please let me know specific brands to look at.
4. Should I get the upgraded bungie strap or nylon strap? And any issues of them falling off while snorkeling and diving down?
5. Does anyone have a photo of the blue color fins? It looks dark on the website, which I like. But I don't want surprises and have it come out bright baby blue!
6. What is the comfort instep?
7. Will it really keep me cramp free?

How's the return policy on the website? I'm wondering if I should order a M/L and L and see which fits best..

I emailed the company a few days ago and haven't heard back. Anything else I need to know before placing an order? I live in the bay area, california. Hoping someone can help me decide

Thank you!

1. Originals may be a little flimsy for snorkeling effectively, My wife dives the Pro's with no issues, the indigo blue is supposed to be more like their out of production Tan Delta material which was the best that you could get, I have no experience with it though to comment on performance.
2. I can't help here
3. No recommendations
4. Bungie all the way. Sometimes they do come off, but the fin design actually pushes the fin up onto your foot, I've dove many of times with no strap at all
5. No photos
6. Comfort insteps allow you to get bigger size fins to accommodate different styles of boots. For instance I have a XXL size because of my larger drysuit boots, but if I want to just go bare foot or a smaller sock like boot I can attach the comfort insteps to make the foot pocket smaller.
7. I expect you are cramping because of the paddle fins hanging off the end of your foot, with Force Fin design most of the effort is placed on the larger muscles in your thighs, not much foot movement needed
8. They say there is a no questions asked satisfaction guaranteed return policy but I've never returned any so I don't know what that experience would be like. Personally there are always at least 10-15 pairs of force fins on ebay or other auction sites for 100.00. Force fins are damn near indestructible so buying used would not be that big of an issue.

Force Fin is run by Bob Evans and Susan Chess, for admin purposes they are the front office and they can be hard to reach at times.

Hi everyone, I've browsed the boards quite a bit. I snorkel at least once a year, in November I'll be going to Bora Bora/Moorea for snorkeling. I always get foot cramps and then end up slowly snorkeling around as I can no longer wear fins.

The only reason I would be purchasing Force Fins is because of these major toe/foot cramps. I don't mind the hefty price tag if it'll keep me cramp free. No shops locally carry this brand so I can't try it on in person.

It seems like the Original Force Fin would suit me best, right? I wear a women's size 8-8.5 (I usually go with 8.5 if I wear socks) and have average width. I need help decided on some specifics please:

2. What size should I go with? I have very small ankles. I will be wearing reef socks because of the rocks/fish in BB/Moorea. (Will I ever be able to wear the fins without reef socks or do I go a size up because of the socks?)
3. I also need recommendations for reef sock brands as the one's I tried are narrow and compressing my feet. I tried Tilos and I'm getting foot cramps just wearing them. I suppose I need to find one for wide feet? Please let me know specific brands to look at.
4. Should I get the upgraded bungie strap or nylon strap? And any issues of them falling off while snorkeling and diving down?
5. Does anyone have a photo of the blue color fins? It looks dark on the website, which I like. But I don't want surprises and have it come out bright baby blue!

How's the return policy on the website? I'm wondering if I should order a M/L and L and see which fits best..

I emailed the company a few days ago and haven't heard back. Anything else I need to know before placing an order? I live in the bay area, california. Hoping someone can help me decide

Thank you!

these neoprene socks with flexible kevlar soles may be what you are looking for.

Rock Socks with Kevlar Soles | MAKO Spearguns

MRSKS-2T.jpg

Thank you!

Call the number on their website. You will reach Susanne. She will help you with fitting and can discuss the comfort instep. I have three pairs of FFs. I used to cramp up for over 15 years until I started using these - now cramping gone.

Great, very helpful everyone. I've left them a voicemail just now. My vacation isn't for another 7 weeks but i'm hoping to get some practice in with the fins before hand.

Those Mako booties don't look very wide. Does it come in a wide size? And are the sizes listed in men's? What is your return policy? I'm worried about collecting so many reef booties that aren't fitting me lol. I always wear average width shoes, but for some reason these booties run very small. I've never worn reef booties/shoes before and don't like it, but it's recommended in Moorea/Bora Bora.

Thank you!!

We will accept returns if the socks don't fit. However, we use Yamamoto neoprene which is very stretchy and the best quality material available. The socks should accommodate your feet if you select the proper size, they are pretty forgiving with respect to width etc.

I have two sets of ff's, both are great for diving, neither are good for snorkling.

You might want to try a hard sole scuba boot to help spread the force over your whole foot.

Try lots of leg stretches before swimming.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom