help buying a wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ASert

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
i have almost no body fat and hate the cold i live in NJ what mm wetsuit should i get to use almost all year?

A 7mm Farmer John could "work" for all year diving but only if you have fat to keep you warm. I don't have alot of fat too, I am the kind of person who is always cold for every season besides the Summer. I have used a 7mm Semi-Dry that worked really well, but I cant say if it could work year round for diving for me. If you want to Dive year round your best bet would be getting a Dry-suit.

BTW.. Where in NJ do you live? I live in Pompton Lakes.

i live in south jersey. Blackwood

Look at the Henderson Aqua Loc in 7mm. They also have a hood vest thingy that I have seen where you can add additional insulation to your core. This is a semidry wetsuit that you can get into for not a lot of money. I personally don't have one yet but it will be my next purchase. Also, if you have extra room in it Henderson and other companies have like 1.5 skin suits that you can use under it for colder weather. You didn't mention your level of experience, so that's why I recommend a semidry in that thickness. A dry suit is also another option that can be worn year round depending on what layering you choose and supposedly they last a lot longer if taken care of but they are anywhere from $800 up but you honestly need special training for using them safely and in my opinion not for a new diver because you have to be really good with managing your buoyancy and just having the experience to be able to react to any issues that could arise...such as air in the feet and a runaway ascent. They also require much more weight and quite possibly fin changes to help you swim because they create a lot of drag and also increase your air consumption. I have never used one and probably won't be any time soon due to cost. I am just relating stuff from what I have seen and heard from my friends that have gotten dry suits. Hope that helps.

i just got my drysuit cert. it was definitely fun, but i dont think you can stop suit squeeze on your balls (i was thinking a cup might help )and the 2.5k price tag isn't that nice on the wallet. i wouldn't want to wear one in the summer. i might go semi dry / 7mm idk yet o_O

I apologize for not looking at your profile first. I didn't see you had enriched air and dry suit and I also didn't know you were AOW. Well you know what I was talking about. Around here they don't rent dry suits..you buy one then either do or don't do the speciality. You can get into an Aqua Loc for 600 or less depending on what all accessories you want that go with it. They are nice though and everyone I know that has one swears by them and several say they are actually hot . There are a lot of other manufacturers that make semi-dry suits but I really only have experience with Henderson because our LDS is a Henderson and Bare dealer. As far as dry suits you can get into a good Bare for about $1200. You will eventually end up with a couple of different suits because there really isn't one perfect one for year round.

You can't go wrong with a Henderson wetsuit. However, diving one year round isn't feasable in my opinion. Yes, you can dive it in the winter, but you will be freezing your but off and I gaurantee your winter dives will be much shorter, almost not worth while beacause you won't be thinking about anything but how cold you are. Anyone who tells you different is full of crap. I have a Henderson Thermoprene 8/7mm Semi-Dry. I like it better than the Aqualock because it's front zip and the hood is attached. I use it June - October on Capeann then switch to dry November - May. I find it very comfortable for 2, 1 hour dives in water temperatures down to 45.

Asert,

Right now whites has their fusion bullet drysuit with undergarment and boots on sale for 999 in most US white dealer shops. These suits are very comfortable and durable.They are great for new and old dry suit divers and wont break the bank compared to a good wetsuit. You can also use them in the summer with just a pair of sweats and be comfortable as well.

Though if you decide to go wet I got to suggest the Bare velocity line of suits. You mention squeeze of the drysuit on your man parts (though it does not happen when you airto the suit just a fyi, if you have a proper fitting suit). The velocity is made in a way to give stretch in all the right areas. The suit is very comfortable and fits very well with stock sizing. I recently got one and I got to say it has been a pleasure to dive.

I am also thin and feel cold. I have used 7mm Semi-dry . My friend recommended Henderson Aqua loc in 7mm because it is a semi dry wetsuit. I want to have this and it will be my next purchase.

Thank you for all of your help guys I will look into all of them and let you know what I come up with :)

BTW if i were to buy a dry suit i think i would have to go with the waterproof D1 ( after a few years when it is a little more economically friendly )

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom