Help a Photoshop newbie!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highdesert

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK, this is probably so simple it's laughable, but ...

Just got a new laptop with the basic Photoshop Elements 6.0 preloaded on it. First exposure to Photoshop. No manual. So I open a Wakatobi photo to do some practice on, do some basic stuff, get a pretty good result, then ...

OK, what's the big secret to save and close a photo? I'll be *$&#)@ed if I can find a frickin' command to do that simple little thing! All I want to do is get back to a blank work area, so I can bring in a different photo. Help!!!!!!!!!!!

When I open the "File" menu, there is neither a "Close", "Save", or "Save as" command listed

My be overly simple, but make sure you are seeing the entire menu. If there is an arrow at the bottom of the 'file' menu, click it and see what you see.

Otherwise.... good luck.

Is it possible this is a trial version that does not make permanent changes until you pay for it? If you have an internet connection (you posted here), click on Help. Another possibility is that the photo is not active, make sure to click somewhere on the photo before dropping the file menu. Even if the photo is not active the save and save as options of the file drop down should be there, although they will not be active.

If you have undone all your changes to the photo the save command will again not be active, as there is nothing new to save, but the save as command should be active if the photo is active. There should also be a close ("x") box in one or the other upper corner of the photo. If you have made any changes to the photo and hit the close box the computer will ask you if you want to save the changes. Another possibility is you need to open a tool bar to get to the PS file menu, not the OS file menu, which would be the view or window drop down.

All those thoughts are from the dusty cobweb pc memory files in my brain; a year and a half ago I went Mac and didn't look back! :D

Ctrl+S = Save
Ctrl+Shift+S = Save as
Ctrl+Shift+Alt+S = Save for Web
Ctrl+W = Close photo

Ctrl+S = Save
Ctrl+Shift+S = Save as
Ctrl+Shift+Alt+S = Save for Web
Ctrl+W = Close photo

Grief, I have been waiting forever you to get over here and reply. :D

Highdesert - what Justleesa said :)

Sorry, I had to check out to watch "Bourne Ultimatum" on PPV. Still liked the first one the best; the other two were just long chase scenes. Now too tired to get back on the computer to deal with this. But thanks for the tips; I'll get back to it tomorrow.

No, it's not a trial version. It's the whole "Elements 6" program, which I understand is the civilian version of the full-on Photoshop, but I registered it online and it's fully activated. Our new Dell XPS 1330 came with the program loaded, plus on CD.

Tune in for the next exciting episode!

PS - I still think they made a mistake killing off Frank Potente, "Marie" in the first one. She was amazing.

Cancel the alarm, peeps, now that I'm awake and got myself to the right screen, voila, all of the "save" and "save as" commands suddenly appeared. Everything is right with the world now, and I do like this program. Good place for a PS noob to start without having to spring for the full-on program.

Thanks anyway for the help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom