Help a Noob - TTL Sync Cord Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Duffer

Contributor
Reaction score
Help!! I've done a whole bunch of searches and cannot come to any conclusions on the question I have.

I have an Olympus PT-022 Housing. I want to get a Substrobe for it. I have ruled out the Olympus options due to either price or under powered units. I have also ruled out Epoque due to too many reports of flooding. After some research, I want to get a second hand Nikonos SB105 - probably from Ebay.

So, here's the question.

Will the sync cord with my housing? Nikonos has the same 5 pin configuration on their cords. The female end of their cords look like an exact fit for the 5 pin male connector port on my housing. I have seen on other websites that appear to indicate Nikonos and Olympus cords have the same fitting.

But, after some research and searching here, I have also seen posts that seem to indicate an adapter is required if I use this chord with my housing. I have seen references and recommendations to HeinrichsWeikamp and their adapters.

http://www.heinrichsweikamp.net/blitz/indexe.htm

Is that required if the Nikonos cable fits my housing as is? Are all 5 pin connectors created equal? If the connector on the SB105 fits my housing, will it be fully TTL functional or would it just trigger manually?

Thanks for verifying........more than one Oly camera can fit into that housing.

According to the Heinrichs Weikamp web site, if you replace the original Oly bulkhead with their replacement bulkhead and converter set, you should be able to get ttl compatibility with a Nikon SB 105. A strobe~camera combination does not make the HeinrichsWeikamp compatibility list found on their web site unless it has been tested.

Without any adaptations, your camera can only send electronic commands through the existing bulkhead on your Olympus housing to an Olympus strobe. HeinrichsWeikamp was able to "crack" the Oly code with circuitry that translates Oly signals into ones that are understood and achieveable to perform (fire and quench as necessary) by the SB 105 and other underwater strobes (but not all!). For a complete list of compatible strobes with your c-770 and their HW replacement bulkhead and converter, check their site.

Prior to purchasing the HeinrichsWeikamp system, I would still recommend contacting either Matthias Heinrichs directly:

info@heinrichsweikamp.com

(he speaks better English than me :wink:) or a reputable HeinrichsWeikamp reseller~installer such as Reef Photo:

ryan@reefphoto.com

hope this helps........
b

Thanks Bob! Not the answer I wanted cause that's gonna cost me a few more $$$$$, but, it is the answer I was expecting. I had to think that was the answer, otherwise, why would they make those adapters??

I've sent an e-amil to Matthias to order an adapter!

Back
Top Bottom