Help a brother out....need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DakotaKid

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and i will be taking a last min trip (we can leave any time between today and Feb 12th). I an a novice diver (only 2 dives since cetification).

My wife does not scuba and generally considers a hammock and a book the best destination. However she really wants to take a couple day trips to do something exciting.

That means we need a destination with easy dives for a novice diver, along with a location that will allow for the potential for either jungle tours or myan ruin tours within reach for a daytrip.

I have done a ton of research on this board but need some suggestions on the resorts that woudl meet our non-diving needs.

We are open to any/all locations but are leaning toward Belize, Cozumel, Akumel, or Roatan. (cozumel being our last choice due to the fact we want something a little less americanized).

In addition we need a pool as my wife as I said before spends her day alternating between the pool and a book.

Lastly something with a good variety of food (either on site or within close proximity) as my wife has allergies to several common foods (vinegar & maltodextrin are the most common).

Can anyone recommend a desitnation (ambergris, caye caulker, stan creek, dangria, roatan, cozumel, akumel, etc) that would meet our needs

Once that challenge is met, any suggestions on the resort?

Thanks in advance.

Not the only place of course, but Thatch Caye Resort offshore at Dangriga can certainly offer all you ask, and it's a very peaceful place to be.

Not the only place of course, but Thatch Caye Resort offshore at Dangriga can certainly offer all you ask, and it's a very peaceful place to be.

I have checked it out....I thought it did not have a pool? Also, how long are the boat rides to good dive sites?

I would fly into BZE, take the water taxi to Caye Caulker. Dive for a couple of days, then go inland to San Igancio for a some amazing land-based activities. The ATM cave is one of the coolest things I have ever seen (and I have seen a lot). From there, you can make an EASY 1-2 day trip to Tikal or check out some more stuff in the San Ig. area.

From either Caye Caulker or Ambergris Caye you can take day trips to go cave tubing, jungle ziplining, the Belize zoo, or ruins like Altun Ha and Lamanai. If you're interested in Belize you should pick up a Belize guidebook. In the mean time check out Belize First Magazine, the # 1 magazine on travel, life and retirement in Belize. for lodging info - it has a huge free download that's incredibly helpful. It's the website of Lan Sluder who writes the Belize Fodor's guidebooks.

Roatán has some good options, too, though the ruins are out of reach for a day trip. Right on the island there are some excellent hiking opportunities and interesting villages to visit. Keep us posted!

the week you are there is the big sky diving weekend on AC. great fun to watch or participate. Novice divers do well on ac - we use patojos at the tides very patient with those of us with boyance issues. my friends son has food allergies and he did not have a problem on the island. She said everyone was very accomodating when you explained what not to do.

Thatch Caye to the best dive sites in southern Belize 10 minutes and who needs a pool with crystal clear Caribbean water lapping at your feet.........

Back
Top Bottom