Heloo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all! I'm new in diving. Just had my Open Water certification 2 weeks ago. And now I just been itching to go diving again. Don't mind sharing all ur experiences & knowledge with me? I'm more than glad to hear about it.

Hi. I'm not in your region of the world, so my experiences may not mean much. Any idea what areas you plan to dive? Once people know more about where you intend to travel, they can give you more details.

What are your main interests in diving? Some examples:

1.) Some like coral reefs, rather like viewing flower gardens.

2.) Some like big schools of fish. Especially colorful fish.

3.) Some like big fish; large grouper, Napoleon wrasse, big stingrays, mantas, big barracuda, sharks... And non-fish, such as dolphin.

4.) Some like diving wrecks.

While all these things appeal to some people, I don't think you'll find many options for a 300 - 500 foot long intact wreck on a 40 foot deep gorgeous coral reef swarmed with large schools of colorful tropical fish and sand tiger sharks hanging around. Prioritizing helps.

All the above can be done with warm water diving. There's also cold water diving with kelp, etc...

Richard.

Hi Richard,

Love to see colourful coral reefs, turtles, colorful fishes, mantas, octopus, crustaceans, shipwrecks..

Well as I get more competent & qualified yeah of course would like to be able to go where the whale & sharks are. Hahahaa...
At the moment still figuring what is the most suitable gears for a noon like me.

Aden.

What dive gear do you already have?

Some people find it hard to find a mask that fits their face with minimal leaking. A mask is easy to take in carry on luggage. If you find a mask that works very well for you, and it's not all that expensive, you might want to buy 2. But at least get one. Better to take one you know works on trips, even if you rent other gear.

There's a lot to be said for having your own dive computer, so you learn the interface and understand what it's telling you. Some people like air-integrated computers so it works like an SPG. Some like computers that can log their dives and download that info. to their home computer. Some like wrist units over console units, but if you want air-integration in a wrist unit, you'll be using a wireless transmitter. Whether A.I. function in dive computers is a useless gimmick or a really nice luxury feature is a debate that's been waged on ScubaBoard in various threads.

If you have an unusually large foot size, you may need to buy your own scuba boots and fins. In the U.S., I wear a size 15 shot, so it's an issue for me. If you own your own fins, many people like spring straps; strong, durable, easy on/off.

A piece of dive gear that doesn't always get pushed much at the early stage, but it a good idea for ocean diving, is an SMB (surface marker buoy) and a reel (whether wreck reel or finger spool), so if you're separated from the boat accidentally, you can have a big 4 to 6 foot tall inflated red or orange thing sticking up off the water, making you much easier to find and rescue.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom