Helmet mount a halcyon focus/flare canister light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MinimalMayhem

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone tried helmet mounting one?

I'm toying with the idea of the Razor helmet mount. Remove the explorer handle from the Focus and either use bits of inner tube so that the light head holding part of the Razor mount fits or just make up a custom part to fit.

There's also the dive rite mount that looks pretty good too and I'm sure there may be others.

I wouldn’t want either of those mounted to a helmet. Wide open switch is just asking for damage, body design is a magnet for entanglement when it’s not on your hand, and “engineering” a compatible mount just seems like it’s going to be a kludgy solution at best.

Helmet mounted lights want small, streamlined form factors. Stuff like the LM or UWLD ones are good candidates, and have reasonable mounting solutions already in the market.

One of my buddies did it - she MacGyvered some PVC tubing and zip ties along with the Razor mount. She only uses it as a temporary stow point while diving caves and I've only seen her use it when she needs two hands to write something in her notes. It seemed to work fine for what it was but, yeah, basically +1 to what @JohnnyC said.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom