Hello

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello from Alaska! I’m new to your forum, relatively new to diving, and looking forward to learning a lot from everyone. Thanks!

Welcom Rick!!!

Welcome. You must let us know where you dive in AK.

We have mostly wet suit dived in various lakes around the Fairbanks Alaska area, with one excursion to the ocean at Whittier. The lake dives were nice down to the therocline, about 18 feet, but that was mostly 5mil wet suit. Then it went from about 60 to 35 degrees. Dry suit dives were much more hospitable, of course. Our dive in Whittier was poor planning on my part. Don’t dive in an area that fish processors are working during salmon season! Nasty!

Welcome!

That does sound kind of gross!

Friends that dive up there have seen some nice spots. I'm guessing if you can get down to Kachemak Bay or Kasitsna it's pretty good.

I have a friend that dives Prudhoe Bay doing marine biology research: It's not something anybody in their right mind would do for fun. Vis is awful with all the river input.

Howdy Rick, I am down in Sterling and dive Whittier, Resurrection, K-bay and a few dives in Prince William sound. The trick with Whittier is to do it in the winter months, much better viz usually in the 30-50ft range and clean water. We found a really cool spot with lots of octopus in K-bay about two months ago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom