Hello

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sje1987

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone,

New to the site and also new to scuba just having passed my OW course. Really enjoying scuba and if anyone has any hints and tips they care to share please direct them my way.

Thanks

1. Dive within your limits
2. Be the buddy you would want to have
3. Treat each failure as a chance to improve and not a personal attack on yourself - there will be tons of failure in your future - we all mess up. It's just how it is. Learn from it.
4. When you start buying gear - buy once cry once. Buy quality stuff that will last - not junk that will break after 1 dive.
5. Try out many different types of gear before buying.
6. Don't believe everything people tell you about scuba diving - research it yourself, sometimes people are wrong.
7. If you don't know how to use dive tables - you should take 5mins and learn, they will be helpful even if you never use them.
8. If you use a dive computer - don't follow it blindly, learn how it operates and WHY it is telling you the things it is.
9. Diving is not a race - unless you want it to be - dive at your own pace.
10. Practice the skills you learned in your OW class - practice makes perfect even after you have your certification.
11. Being calm in the face of adversary is the key to survival.
12. Plan the dive, Dive the plan.
13. Spring straps on your fins are the best.
14. Scubaboard is awesome - ask us anything.
15. Have fun and welcome to the club!

Welcome to SB! ^what they said. :)

Thanks, even though I'm qualified I'm still going to attend pool sessions so I can practice the skills I've been taught in the OW course.

From the videos and various things I have seen on internet have given me some serious things to look at even watching videos of near misses on you tube have helped with my learning to see how not to do things. As for asking questions you will be telling me to shut up before long haha

Thanks, even though I'm qualified I'm still going to attend pool sessions so I can practice the skills I've been taught in the OW course.

From the videos and various things I have seen on internet have given me some serious things to look at even watching videos of near misses on you tube have helped with my learning to see how not to do things. As for asking questions you will be telling me to shut up before long haha

Nothing wrong with practicing skills in the pool - I do it all winter long. In fact before every dive I practice s drills (sidemount air share) and after the dive if I still have some gas left I practice as well.

The more questions you ask, the better.

Agreed, I hit the pool all the time(when I can't dive elsewhere) to practice skills and drills.

@sje1987 Welcome to the boards! Congratulations on the OW cert. As for getting your own gear, I would say dive a little more, get to know the rentals and what you like/don't like about them and chat with people to see what they have to say about their gear, here on the boards and on your dives. This will ensure that you end up with what you really want and not with regret a little after making the big purchases. Be sure to try things on and demo in the pool and/or on an actual dive if possible -- it may change what you initially wanted. It did for me!

After that, everything that @Reku said. :)

@Reku Preach! Well typed.

Thanks, as for kit wise I'm going to just have a play with different styles/types to see what works what doesnt. If I had my own way i would buy the kit I learnt in (got slightly attached and protective off the set. Its going to be a sad day when I get my own kit haha).

howdy and welcome from south Florida, USA...now dive dive dive..

Welcome to SB. Its a great place. Good name pic.

Back
Top Bottom