Hello to all from Kumamoto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

quiet_diver

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the SB forum, and just getting back into diving, having found a buddy in my local area (Barc, who will probably introduce himself soon).

I posted my intro. in the 'meets and greets' section. I guess most people here are distant from Kyushu. A few years ago, I was visiting Okinawa with my wife, and thought about diving - but didn't know where to go, so I'm glad to make contact and keep in touch with news from here. One thing that's kept me away from diving in Japan is the cost, especially for boat diving.

I'm now trying to get into some shore diving in Amakusa, with our own tanks and gear, with Barc.

Glad to be here .

Hi there -
Good to see you found your way here! Most seem to be from around Tokyo but as you know - I'm not!!! :D
(did you get my email about TripleL? I had a few problems with email over the weekend so I'm not sure if it went through properly!)

Welcome to the board, quiet diver. It's great to hear you have found a way to dive at home. Is there anyting in Japan that's not expensive? Have fun down there.

Kim:
Hi there -
Good to see you found your way here! Most seem to be from around Tokyo but as you know - I'm not!!!
I read that 10% of Japan's population lives in the greater Tokyo metro area - I wonder if that percentage holds for divers?

did you get my email about TripleL? I had a few problems with email over the weekend so I'm not sure if it went through properly!)
A mystifying term; unfortunately, didn't get your mail; pls. resend, or PM

Hey, a question for you, if a woman friend in her 50s, interested in diving (once tried a resort dive in shallows), wants to contine - here in Kyushu - reasonable English - looking for a safe and slow OW sort of class - any thoughts or recommendations?

Henryville:
Welcome to the board, quiet diver. It's great to hear you have found a way to dive at home. Is there anyting in Japan that's not expensive? Have fun down there.
Thanks.

Well, rice is practically too expensive to eat. Actually, don't spread it around, once you get out of metro areas - down into Kyushu for one - it's very cheap to live, eat, and the onsen (hot springs) are divine - long as you have your own transport and avoid the center of town for rents. All depends on what you want. The countryside -- hey there are some villages not too distant that will pay you to live in them. Practically nobody under 70 out there anymore.

quiet_diver:
Hey, a question for you, if a woman friend in her 50s, interested in diving (once tried a resort dive in shallows), wants to contine - here in Kyushu - reasonable English - looking for a safe and slow OW sort of class - any thoughts or recommendations?

What about the school where you do the boat diving from? I believe there are other places in Kumamoto as well. One place I've seen mentioned but I don't know personally is:
http://japandiving.com/local.htm

I'm sure there are others as well down there.

(I'll resend the email tomorrow morning - it's on my other computer I use at school)

quiet_diver:
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the SB forum, and just getting back into diving, having found a buddy in my local area (Barc, who will probably introduce himself soon).

I posted my intro. in the 'meets and greets' section. I guess most people here are distant from Kyushu. A few years ago, I was visiting Okinawa with my wife, and thought about diving - but didn't know where to go, so I'm glad to make contact and keep in touch with news from here. One thing that's kept me away from diving in Japan is the cost, especially for boat diving.

I'm now trying to get into some shore diving in Amakusa, with our own tanks and gear, with Barc.

Glad to be here .

Welcome to Japan and the Board!

I grew up in San Francisco and have lived in Tokyo for 15 years. I have never dove in Amakusa and so am wondering how it is. There are only a few Board members in Kyushu. I'm expecting you to let us know about diving down there.

One more thing. If you have a chance to come to Tokyo, don't forget to contact us, I mean me and other JUE (Japan Underwater Explorer) members.

ken chung ar

ken chung ar:
Welcome to Japan and the Board!

I grew up in San Francisco and have lived in Tokyo for 15 years. I have never dove in Amakusa and so am wondering how it is. There are only a few Board members in Kyushu. I'm expecting you to let us know about diving down there.

One more thing. If you have a chance to come to Tokyo, don't forget to contact us, I mean me and other JUE (Japan Underwater Explorer) members.
Hi ken, thanks for your greetings and to Kim too, for the link - hope to give you a ring soon, Kim. And if I'm ever up in Tokyo I will definitely get in touch. As for Amakusa, since I'm just beginning to dive there I wouldn't want to offer an opinion. Give me a few months into next season though...

good wishes, to all --

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom