Hello there.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divewithG.M

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi My name is Gavin and I am working my way to becoming an SAR diver in the Coast guard. And the reason why is because I want to do tech diving but I also want to save lives. But anyways I hope everyone has a good day.

Hello and welcome to ScubaBoard! We've got almost exactly the same scuba diving goals except I got my solo diving certificate because I don't want to be responsible for anyone else's life.

Hello and welcome to ScubaBoard! We've got almost exactly the same scuba diving goals except I got my solo diving certificate because I don't want to be responsible for anyone else's life.
Right now I'm actually certified in only two things but did you know whenever you're going rescue diving you're always diving in like a group like a team. Just so you know

Right now I'm actually certified in only two things but did you know whenever you're going rescue diving you're always diving in like a group like a team. Just so you know
I did not know that when a diver achieves his or her Rescue Diver certification that he or she would always be diving in a group like a team.

Nor do I quite wrap my head around the phrase "going rescue diving". I was always under the impression that a Rescue Diver has the certification and training to assist other divers when and if necessary but they don't necessarily go out looking for a diver that might be in need of a rescue.

Nor do I quite wrap my head around the phrase "going rescue diving". I was always under the impression that a Rescue Diver has the certification and training to assist other divers when and if necessary but they don't necessarily go out looking for a diver that might be in need of a rescue.
A SAR (Search and Rescue) diver and a PADI certified Rescue diver are two different animals.

The former is a professional occupation usually associated with a Coast Guard organisation or Fire department etc.

Oh and welcome @divewithG.M

If you didn't know doing search and rescue diving in the Coast guard is probably a lot more harder than doing regular search and rescue because you have to do ice diving and other certifications in order to do it and another thing that the Coast guard has with their training is not just learning how to do rescue diving but they also teach you how to operate vessels and teach you first aid and how to maintenance your equipment. But one thing you do need to know is before you get into the Coast guard you have to at least have some courses done because they don't pay for all of them I think the only thing that they do pay for for scuba diving course is ice diving but the other things like cave diving and wreck diving you have to get done on your own and also I'm pretty sure you also have to do extended range before you can get in because when you're in the Coast guard some of the dives that you might be doing might be going 300 ft or deeper and that is why it's best to have extended range certification. But for me there's definitely two things that I want to do as like other courses before I get in which is doing a dry suit diving course which it's obvious why because I'm going to have to dive in colder Waters and then the other one is full face mask certification because then you can have a like a talking transmitter and you can be able to talk with the mask on so that way you can communicate to the other divers in the team it's basically just like a walkie-talkie but for underwater but then you can also communicate to the people on the boat. So there you go and just so you know I'm getting certified through SSI (scuba schools international).

If you didn't know doing search and rescue diving in the Coast guard is probably a lot more harder than doing regular search and rescue because you have to do ice diving and other certifications in order to do it and another thing that the Coast guard has with their training is not just learning how to do rescue diving but they also teach you how to operate vessels and teach you first aid and how to maintenance your equipment. But one thing you do need to know is before you get into the Coast guard you have to at least have some courses done because they don't pay for all of them I think the only thing that they do pay for for scuba diving course is ice diving but the other things like cave diving and wreck diving you have to get done on your own and also I'm pretty sure you also have to do extended range before you can get in because when you're in the Coast guard some of the dives that you might be doing might be going 300 ft or deeper and that is why it's best to have extended range certification. But for me there's definitely two things that I want to do as like other courses before I get in which is doing a dry suit diving course which it's obvious why because I'm going to have to dive in colder Waters and then the other one is full face mask certification because then you can have a like a talking transmitter and you can be able to talk with the mask on so that way you can communicate to the other divers in the team it's basically just like a walkie-talkie but for underwater but then you can also communicate to the people on the boat. So there you go and just so you know I'm getting certified through SSI (scuba schools international).
Your profile says you are 15 and have 0-24 dives. Is that correct?

Most of the certifications you are interested in will require you to have more experience and/or be older. That's fine. Do the diving you can do now.

I'm sure the Coast Guard recruiter will be happy to talk to you about the best way to prepare for enlistment in your specialty of choice. I'm going to guess that doing well in school and keeping fit is more important than any specific vocational preparation, but swimming skill is an obvious requirement.

Your profile says you are 15 and have 0-24 dives. Is that correct?

Most of the certifications you are interested in will require you to have more experience and/or be older. That's fine. Do the diving you can do now.

I'm sure the Coast Guard recruiter will be happy to talk to you about the best way to prepare for enlistment in your specialty of choice. I'm going to guess that doing well in school and keeping fit is more important than any specific vocational preparation, but swimming skill is an obvious requirement.
Can you guess what I'm certified in right now?

Back
Top Bottom