Hello! New to the forum, researching redundant air options :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He could get a twinset... it would greatly extend his BT ( at 90-120ft) and provide great redundancy..... but of course that's in the tech realm and costs much more than a pony.....

Thanks everyone for the welcoming and very insightful replies, much appreciated!

For those who asked, no, the operators here typically do not require a redundant air source, so it's definitely optional. I do lean towards those saying "better safe than sorry" essentially, it would probably give me more peace of mind / confidence to have something available "just in case". I'll have to weigh this against convenience and practicality much in the same way @SlugMug already outlined, as it sounds like either a 19cu or 40cu pony bottle would probably be the most straightforward way to go. I'm going to investigate some options and cost!

You might try contacting @Marie13 here on Scubaboard, she has been walking the walk, diving the wrecks in your area. I am sure she would have some good local advice to share.

You might try contacting @Marie13 here on Scubaboard, she has been walking the walk, diving the wrecks in your area. I am sure she would have some good local advice to share.

Hey Bob, thanks for the mention but I’ll pass. There are plenty of sources for the OP to get info on wrecks.

Hey Bob, thanks for the mention but I’ll pass. There are plenty of sources for the OP to get info on wrecks.

Not so much wrecks, but the gear choice he is making from someone who makes the dives in the area. But I do get your point, I'm just a fan. :wink:

If it’s gear you meant, AL40! Sling it. Good for if you go tech later. Will hold its value if you decide to sell. Tech divers are always looking for more AL40s. I always did the pony when I was doing wrecks deeper than 60.

Back
Top Bottom