hello ... new here .. simple question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

perro

New
Reaction score
hello ..
new here …. SouthFlorida is my spot.
have seen WONDERFULL INCREDIBLE pictures on this forum !! wow !!
I don't expect to get even closer 1% to those achievements !!

just trying to get into the sport from the very beginning
can somebody recommend a low cost but decent quality and comfortable to wear mask ?
you can see on the web from $3 to $300 !!

I have 2 of them, walmart style that takes water, and a pain in the back (literallt) , just a nightmare to wear even for simple snorkeling !!!

I don't want to put to much money on that. Just a decent one for a novice (50 years old !!) like me ..
split band I guess is more comfortable .. right ?

baby steps for me. Have a boat, that is a plus !!!

thanks for your feedback !

Go to a dive shop and try them on. Not the Walmart special.

There are masks that can cost $30 and fit and a $100 doesn't. I'm the current SB mask problem child. I went through 16 masks before number 17 fit and didn't leak (much). I have deep smiles lines and needed a mask with a longer skirt on the bottom. Many of the masks these days have very short skirts.

Welcome to SB!

I would also point out that it is very common for some to tighten their mask to their face way too hard. If, on the surface, your mask is making imprints after 5 mins, it's too tight. The mask strap is only to keep it from falling off, once underwater, the water pressure should seal the mask to your face.

A good fit is important. See your Local Dive Shop and have somebody do a proper fitting with you.

Good luck, enjoy and welcome to SB!

It’s hard for someone to suggest a mask over the net, or for you to buy one that will fit. You need to try them on, with a snorkel or reg in your mouth because that will change the fit. (Sometimes, an inexpensive big box store mask will work out just fine as long as its tempered glass and low volume, as its mostly about the fit, rather than the features or brand name paying more might get you. But if you buy something sealed in a plastic package it makes it hard to check that fit. Often these are more intended for snorkeling where fit is not as crucial.)

As far as the strap, I don’t know that a split strap is any more or less comfortable. If you are overtightening the strap in an attempt to make it not leak, you will make any strap less comfortable, and probably fail at fixing the leak. What can be nice is a replacement neoprene “slap strap” as they slide on easily and are less likely to get stuck in your hair.

If you are overtightening the strap in an attempt to make it not leak, you will make any strap less comfortable, and probably fail at fixing the leak.

This is true, and often times will actually cause more leaking, not reduce. The skirt gets pressed so tightly that the outside edge curls away from the face, allowing water to enter.

Stick with it, you'll find your perfect fit, don't worry. Good luck!

get a neoprene mask strap Divers Supply Reversible Neoprene Mask Strap, totally worth the few extra bucks! I dove several years with a $35 mask and had no problems. I would recommend one peice lense with either periferal lenses or a clear silicone skirt because this allows for a lot more light and a few less blind spots..
a few examples from edge would be.. EDGE Stealth 2 Frameless Mask - Products
or
EDGE Manta Single Vision Mask - Products
or the style i personally wear...
Edge Panoramic Ultra Mask - Products

What the othes have said. Go to a local dive shop - in SoFL there's a wide selection of masks at Divers Direct locations - don't go by price - go by fit.

To start with take any mask you like and put it on your face with the strap hanging down. Inhale thru your nose and see it if stays on. Any that don't reject.

I put my split strap in a strap cover since I prefer them together - works fine. Also it's more comfortable on the hair.

I have an $80 Tusa mask - low volume, soft skirt, adjustable buckles. If I turn my head a certain way while looking up - it leaks at the temples.

I have a $20 Sherwood I bought on sale as a backup - it never leaks....

Don't buy a mask without trying it on...

There are a few low-cost masks that some people rave about, but that doesn't mean they will fit your face. I'm fortunate that mine was in the $35 range. My girlfriend paid about $100 for hers. Lots of good advice here so if you follow the suggestions you should be able to find some happiness without too much trouble. :) One thing I've found that seems to be a consistent Law of Dive Masks is that if it has a cheap, flimsy strap connector it will leak: The rate of leakage is directly proportional to the quality of the strap connector.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom