Hello! I am a new/inexperienced diver looking for advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stenu

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello ScubaBoard Community!

My girlfriend and I are quitting our jobs and going traveling for a year in Southeast Asia. During this time, I would like to train to become a Dive Master (later on maybe even Instructor, but one step at a time :)). However, I am not really sure where to go for the training.

The locations shouldn't be too remote, as my girlfriend won't be diving. She is planning on taking language classes, while I do the course. A lot of blogs recommend Gili Islands and Ko Tao for their large number of dive schools and great nightlife. But partying isn't really what we are looking for. For me, the quality of the training is most important.

Can anyone give a recommendation where we should go?

Thanks a lot in advance :)

You might have a look at either Phuket or Koh Lak, Thailand. Lots of dive ops, lots of business, cheap to live, very beautiful and safe.

Thanks a lot for the reply. Phuket would probably be a very good option. Is there any dive school you could recommend? As mentioned above, the quality of the training is the most important criterion for me.

An other option I was looking into was Denpasar in Bali. Can anyone recommend that location?

Denpasar is quite far away from the dive sites. On Bali, I'd recommend staying in Padang Bai or Tulamben to be close to great diving. The quality of diving on Bali is much better than Phuket. As for quality of instruction in either place, you need to find a good instructor!

Are Tulamben or Padang Bai not rather remote? I would not want do drag my girlfriend to a place where all she can do is lie at the beach and read books all day...

What lucky people !

If it was me , I would go to the Gili Islands or Bali or Ko Tao or Malapascua or another location in the Philippines.

Enjoy this wonderful opportunity x

Thanks for all your great replies! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom