Hello, how are you, can you help me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lizziebet

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
:wavey:
Hey everyone,

I'm Lizzie currently on a year out so far travelled Singapore, New Zealand and now in Australia.

Working to earn money then travelling for 6 weeks (diving on the great barrier reef included in my plans) before going home to the UK.

The reason I came on this forum was mostly for advice. I'm looking for a digital camera, I don't have a whole load of money to spare, I'd like something pretty much in the "point and shoot" range, that will take reasonable good quality photos and most impotantly that will last! I don't want to have to replace it any time soon. I've had a search through the forum but most of the advice tailored to me was typed in 2002 and things have changed a lot since then!

The brand Ikelite has come up a lot. has anyone heard of them/ know anything about them?

Thankyou very much for reading this, hope your well

Lizzie

:thumbs-up

Hi Lizzie: I would buy the best camera you can afford. I'm partial to Sea and Sea and went digital as soon as they did, starting with an Olympus. Right now I'm getting photos that are almost as good as the divers get with the big housed rigs using the Sea& Sea 1G, that's 10 mp. I use the new strobe with spotter YS 110. It is an amazing rig. If you would like to see some of my shots with it, check me out at JC's Tropical Treasures -- Pictures, Videos, and Gifts The site isn't finished but just click on Jim's pictures and you will get a feel for it. I know this is probably a lot of money, but I'm on my 6th digital camera and I can't really think of needing much more. Put it this way, I'm not planning on buying anything more. J.C.

Welcome to ScubaBoard and Australia!

Ikelite makes housings for cameras, not cameras themselves, so you need to decide on the camera you want first and then check to see if there are housings available.

I love the Canon Powershot A series - they are versatile, have great Canon housings, do great in P mode but also allow you to access manual controls. You can get a nice set up for not a lot of cash.

We have a great collection of information on a wide range of good camera choices if you look in the Sticky at the top of this Underwater Photography forum - you can follow the Pink Link in my signature.

I'm glad I'm not looking for a new camera right now with all the choices out there. Do click the pink link for a terrific thread alcina put together that will help you wade through the myriad of choices out there.

:happywave Lizzie and welcome to :sblogo:

are you diving with anyone that dives with a camera?? reason why i ask is only yesterday hubby and i were at bare island and it ended up being 5 photographers (hubby being 1 of them), all with different cameras, housings and strobes so its a great way to talk to other divers about what they are using and why

goodluck

Hi Lizzie,

If you want an inexpensive point and shot, Intova ic600 and ic700. I brought one for my trip to thailand, it worked great. I am not a underwater photo buff, just wanted something that was a point and shot for personal memory. I found a ic600 online on close out for 130 US dollars. with the 9 dollar defuser and shipping I got it for 142 dollars. It take nice top side photos, and under water the water tight case was top notch, double o-ring. And it took decent underwater photo for personal memento. I took it down to 80ft no problems. It is rated to 180ft.

intova.net if you want to check it out

And Welcome

Hello,

Thanks for all your advice I will defintely look into everything.

almitywife- I've asked a few friends, waiting on e-mail replies and the experienced diver I spoke to is planning to make the switch to digital like myself, so he's exploring the market too, so fingers crossed.

Today I had a look and am quite taken with the sea and sea DX860G, or the sealife reefmaster DC600, although I'm having trouble finding a place nearby that stocks them and many websites don't display prices!

Thankyou for all your advice and for welcoming me

Lizzie
:D

you will find that most dive shops dont stock alot of camera gear as it can be provided within a week of ordering- its alot of stock/$$ for dive shops to carry otherwise

but i can suggest dive 2000 at neutral bay - they hire as well i hear (ive only been in there a few times) Dive 2000 - Underwater Photography, Cameras, Housings & Hire

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom