Hello from Vancouver Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mdoreen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all - I recently received my OW cert and have been bit by a scuba bug. Currently enjoying lots of lovely and easy shore dives in southern Vancouver Island while working hard on the weighting and buoyancy (and fear of fish...). Despite weighing about 105lbs, I seem to be possibly the most buoyant human in the PNW. Maybe my head is full of air? Either way, I am trying to wean myself off the overweighting. Even once down, my feet tend to betray me and get floaty. No feet-first ascents in the drysuit though! I have tried moving my tank down and ankle weights with no real success, but am hoping I will figure it out along the way.

I've been appreciating many recent and old threads here on scubaboard and wanted to say hello!

Welcome! I miss hopping the ferry and diving with Island friends. You’re lucky to have so many amazing sites at your doorstep and up and down the coast.

Just a thought, have you tried some less buoyant fins like Jetfins / Hollis F1s? It took me a while to find the right fins (I have a pretty good selection now...) and weight positioning, so keep at it and I’m sure with the help from others you’ll solve it.

Welcome to Scubaboard. So glad you've joined us! Post your buoyancy issues in the New Divers subforum and our wonderful membership will help you get straightened out.

Welcome from the other end of the country. I've never dived dry, but wonder if you have done an "official" weight check? Why are you overweighted to begin with?

Welcome, feel free to contact me any time for info or advice!

Welcome from the other end of the country. I've never dived dry, but wonder if you have done an "official" weight check? Why are you overweighted to begin with?

I did in my course - my instructor told us all we were all a few lbs overweighted and suggested that we take a few pounds off as we dive more and get more comfortable. I switched to a neoprene drysuit after my first few dives and had to figure out the weighting again - slowly getting there I think!

I did in my course - my instructor told us all we were all a few lbs overweighted and suggested that we take a few pounds off as we dive more and get more comfortable. I switched to a neoprene drysuit after my first few dives and had to figure out the weighting again - slowly getting there I think!
I took the course in 2005-- my OW manual has the steps listed to do a proper weight check--I assume the current one or e learning also does. It is recommended you do this with a near empty tank, but you can do it with a full tank and add 5 pounds to compensate for your tank getting 5 pounds lighter as you breathe it down on the dive.
Some instructors still tend to overweight students, a topic I'm sure you'll run into on SB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom