Hello from Tampa area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saltwater_Parrot

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've been living in the Tampa area for a few years now and finally got my certification and my own gear (I would just do trip dives in the past).
I am definitely looking to slowly make my way up to tech as my experience builds in the coming years, obviously no rush on that. I grew up swimming and surfing so I'm very comfortable in the water and I'm excited to get experience and do as many dives as my pocket allows! Would love to make some dive buddies as well.

Welcome,

I don't know Tampa, but a 3-hour drive over to Jupiter or West Palm will get you some excellent drift-diving along the offshore ledges, and some wrecks also. West Palm is a bit shallower on average, so you might try that first, and then the slightly more "adult swim" sites off Jupiter.

Welcome,

I don't know Tampa, but a 3-hour drive over to Jupiter or West Palm will get you some excellent drift-diving along the offshore ledges, and some wrecks also. West Palm is a bit shallower on average, so you might try that first, and then the slightly more "adult swim" sites off Jupiter.
Thanks! Jupiter and WP are definitely on my short list of dives to do. I've dove Duck Key as well as St Croix, but have not yet done any of the east coast FL spots. My instructor mentioned the drift dives on the east coast as well, so that will probably be my next weekend trip. My deepest dives so far have been my dives out in the gulf, which have been mostly in the 40-50ft range, but I'm planning on taking deep/wreck soon and slowly start adding more wrecks and deeper dives to my dive list. Luckily I have some family out on the east coast so I can head out that way fairly frequently.

Jupiter rocks. It's known for drift diving seeing some big animals, such as goliath grouper and reef sharks. It's also known for another, much more controversial offering...dives where sharks are lured in with bait. I've had a trip for each kind of experience, and enjoyed both.

Jupiter 2014 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/491927-jupiter-trip-report-9-7-14-9-11-14-a.html

Emerald Charters Trip Report 2017 - Trip Report - Emerald Dive Charters Trip Report
Funny enough, I did my Bsc in biology and had to do a research paper on shark feeding. Definitely an interesting topic and another dive on my to-do list!

I've been living in the Tampa area for a few years now and finally got my certification and my own gear (I would just do trip dives in the past).
I am definitely looking to slowly make my way up to tech as my experience builds in the coming years, obviously no rush on that. I grew up swimming and surfing so I'm very comfortable in the water and I'm excited to get experience and do as many dives as my pocket allows! Would love to make some dive buddies as well.
Since you're in Tampa, I'd definitely check out TJ with 2 Shea's. It's a local dive operation in Clearwater that operates out of Seminole boat ramp. They have both rec diving as well as spearfishing, and the spearfishing is very good imo compared to other areas around the state.

On Facebook, we have a local Clearwater Spearos group you can join to meet some more locals. Most of us are spearfish, but many of us also do a lot of recreational diving. Also, as mentioned, W. Palm is probably some of the best diving in the state. Drift diving and lobstering over there are my favorites. There are also some shark feeding operations over there, but you'll need AOW if you're interested. Feel free to join up with us on FB.

Since you're in Tampa, I'd definitely check out TJ with 2 Shea's. It's a local dive operation in Clearwater that operates out of Seminole boat ramp. They have both rec diving as well as spearfishing, and the spearfishing is very good imo compared to other areas around the state.

On Facebook, we have a local Clearwater Spearos group you can join to meet some more locals. Most of us are spearfish, but many of us also do a lot of recreational diving. Also, as mentioned, W. Palm is probably some of the best diving in the state. Drift diving and lobstering over there are my favorites. There are also some shark feeding operations over there, but you'll need AOW if you're interested. Feel free to join up with us on FB.
Thanks, I actually went out with 2Shea about two weeks ago and had a great time (we went to airplane barge and circle of heros). I went out with Jupiter Dive Center and did some drift diving just this weekend while visiting family on the east coast for fathers day and it was really great.. some massive loggerheads and a couple sharks, eels and a lobster.

The shark dives are on my list for when I get AOW, I pretty much just need the 3 other specialty classes at this point for SSI (I have nitrox so far).

I appreciate the advice and will check out of the FB group! I'm definitely open to trying new activities and definitely wouldn't mind giving spearfishing a shot!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom