Hello from Stockholm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knuhol

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey diving folks!

You don't know me, but I know you quite well since I am a regular ScubaBoard reader for over the last year or so :p To cover this gap, let me introduce myself!

My name is Knut and I live in Stockholm, Sweden. Since I do mainly local dives, my diving life is almost all about cold water and wreck diving. I got certified in 2018 in the Czech Republic (where I originally come from) with IANTD, one year later I did there also my AOWD course since I knew the instructor and I like him.

When arrived to Sweden, I joined a PADI local diving club since I wasn't able to find any IANTD one. I med lot of great divers there and new friends as well, however, I very soon realised that PADI is not the path I would like to go in my diving career. BCD preferences, not using hogarthian config, no focus on trim, rushing into DM courses after 60 dives... That doesn't appeal to me. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to argue it cannot work for anybody (read tons of discussions on these topics here already and don't intend to start another flame), it just doesn't work fo me.
So, for a year and half, I was not thinking about my further diving education and was just enjoying my dives. After a while doing local diving around Stockholm, I realised that dives which I am enjoying the most are old wooden shipwrecks dives, most of them are in 25-30 meters. To enjoy them more and have longer bottom time, I switched to back mounted doubles (with EAN 32). I was lucky to get introduction to doubles from an experienced GUE diver, who made me totally excited about GUE - I never heard about GUE before, but my first diving instructor made me excited about DIR philosophy so when I discovered GUE and GUE Fundamentals course I was like "wow, this is exactly the course what I was looking for". My nearest GUE instructor is just 20 minutes from my place of living, so I am signed up for the end of July :)
When I signed up for GUE-F I had no idea there is something like rec or tech pass, I just wanted to improve my skills. After a research done on this forum I know now, however I don't care about them - would be nice to manage rec pass of course, but my original intension why to take this course is still the same.
In long term future, when I am much more experienced and feel for that, I would like to do tech diving, however there are still lot of wrecks in recreational depths where I can have my fun, so I don't worry about it and don't want to rush this path - deeper wrecks will wait for me. I think that knowledge, skills and experience have to come first (if ever).

Why I finally created an account here after one year of reading? Well, in non-diving life I am a software developer and in every software developer's life will come a day when you just NEED to create an account on StackOverflow - because you start feeling that maybe you have something to share with others what can be useful or you maybe know the answer to some question. It is the same with ScubaBoard - even still being a beginner in the under water life, maybe I reached that point when I no longer want just to read but sometimes to write as well :)

I would like to say a huge thanks to all ScubaBoard community since I love this forum and learned a lot here. I am happy to be a part of it and, hopefully, add my little tiny piece to help others.

Happy diving!

Knut

Hi Knut!
I am also in Stockholm. Are you diving anywhere regularly? We should get together for fika!

Welcome to SB!
Hoping to visit Sweden some day to look up some extended family members. What are some good diving sites there?

Hi Knut!
I am also in Stockholm. Are you diving anywhere regularly? We should get together for fika!

Hello! Yes I do :) I usually dive with Ecodive club (different dive sites in Värmdö) or in Dalarödykpark with Stockholms Wreckguide. We have a free slot on diving boat at Jun 27, wanna join? Otherwise I am always in for fika as well!

Welcome to SB!
Hoping to visit Sweden some day to look up some extended family members. What are some good diving sites there?

Thanks! I know just dive sites around Stockholm and they are cold, dark and no fish :-D but thousands of very well conservated shipwrecks! This is my favorite dive site: Home

Thanks! I know just dive sites around Stockholm and they are cold, dark and no fish :-D but thousands of very well conservated shipwrecks! This is my favorite dive site: Home

That looks like a pretty cool site. It's now on my list! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom