Hello from Southeast Alaska!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seakdivers

Reaction score
My boyfriend and I are both (finally) certified open water divers, and we have done several dives in the bays and areas surrounding our island. We've run into seals, sea lions, lots of abalones, fish, sea urchins, and rock scallops.....the list goes on.
It's been very interesting reading everyone's stories! I have enjoyed perusing the forums and reading other people's tips and advice.
See you around the forums!

Welcome to the Boards!!

An island huh? Seals and Sealions? Sounds very interesting.
Looking forward to hearing more!!

Enjoy the boards, there is a lot of imformation here!

:)

Welcome from south central Wisconsin.

Glad to have someone from Alaska join us - must be really cold there? What kind of exposure suit (model, brand, undergarments) do you dive in? What is the sea-life like, environment and conditions?

Thanks for the welcomes!

DB - we have been using rental equipment, which is getting to be a pain. We only have one dive center on our island, so it's not always possible to get all the gear we need sometimes.

The drysuits they have are mostly ScubaPro, and sometimes DUI, and we use these bright green DUI fleece garments that everyone calls "Kermits".

We really want to get our own gear - especially the drysuits, which is why I came to these boards in the first place. I have been able to read all kinds of interesting opinions on different suits. Aside from a drysuit, one thing I know I want to get is a Weezle suit!
I tend to get a bit chilly out there.:frosty:

I look forward to talking with you all!

Can you take abalone there with tanks? I had to freedive for them in No Cal, but I am aware of a few places you can use tanks.

Oh, and welcome. :)

Hi SARmedic!

We can't take abalones while using tanks or hookah gear. We can take them while snorkeling, however, and on a day like today with a really low tide they are relatively easy to find. We went out this morning, and I just got done cleaning 24 nice sized ones! (I know what we're having for dinner!)

We can take crab (both dungeness and king), rock scallops, and most fish while using scuba, so we have plenty to look forward to this summer!

:creeper:

Nice to see another Southeaster posting. You should try the LDS (locak dive shops) in Juneau or Craig for some gear comparisons when you get ready to buy. I've worked them over and gotten some reasonable deals. Don't be afraid to walk in and tell them what you can get it on the Net for. Times have changed thank God. Not like the old days when everything was over priced plus freight!

Want to get over to Sitka sometime this summer. If you get over here toward Juneau give a holler. Got a lot of people who dive all year here. I didn't get out this weekend but that's the way it goes sometimes. No King crab last weekend but that's the first one in a while we struck out.

Any good wrecks to dive over there? We have the Sophia and Kathleen of course over here. Both world class dives. Feel free to get in touch. You'll find lot's of info here for sure!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom