Hello from Seattle!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Be wary of very high-priced 'prestige' regulators. I doubt you need to spend $1,500 on a regulator. A reputable model and brand is wise, but don't go overboard.
@drrich2 has given some good advice and I'm especially in agreement with this statement above. One thing to consider with regulators is servicing. They'll need to be serviced periodically. One thing you don't want to do is buy a used reg set (nothing wrong with that) only to find out that your local dive shop doesn't service that brand. You have a few options. You can buy a reg from your local shop, then you know they can service it. All the big name bands (e.g. ScubaPro, Aqualung, Atomic) make their servicing proprietary. That is, they don't allow (train) individuals to service them and they only sell the service kits to authorized dealers. And the cost of the service kits to the consumer is ridiculous.

Hog and Deep6 do it differently. They'll train individuals to service regs and sell you the kits. Deep6 signature regs even come with a kit for the first service. If you don't want to learn how to do your own service, you can always just send your regs to them. I've used ScubaPro and Atomic regs. They're nice regs, but I've recently moved to Deep6. Aside from the bonus of service that I mentioned, they're great breathers and cheaper than the others.

One nice things about a BP/W is it's modularity. For diving with your 7mm suit, you can throw on a 6lb steel backplate, and that's 6lbs off your weightbelt. Want to travel? You can save 4lbs and use an aluminum backplate.

Enjoy the journey!

Welcome aboard Ryan.... Sounds like your on your way to some great adventures... You're asking good questions and already have received some great advice...

As to spearfishing for Halibut up here I think you're going to find that to be quite the challenge as these NW Hali's are typically deeper than you'd want to be..

But... Lingcod season is coming up soon and since you are based out of Edmonds, there are some good close opportunities in areas 9, 8-2, 8-1 & 10.. Spearfishing for Lings is open the last week of May and the first two weeks of June.. Check the regs for exact dates and slot restrictions...

Another great option if your boat is trailerable or capable of making the run is Neah Bay (area 4). The spearfishing seasons and possession limits are much better..... and the diving out there is awesome.

Watch the tides, get to know the corrections and time the slacks...

Cheers...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom