Hello from Northern Michigan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ErkE

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Getting back into diving after a long hiatus. Originally cert'd back in 1990, partner in a dive shop in early 2000s...burnt out after too many pool and Blue hole New Mexico student sessions.

Moved on to a much more expensive passion in boats. :)

My youngest son showed an interest in diving which fired my interest back up. Have him signed up for classes and thousands later, he has cool new gear, mine is being rebuilt along with a new dry suit.

Some refresher dives for me and a mix of have boat, will dive summer days coming up. Travel this fall for back to the ocean and warm water.

It has been enjoyable to read through the threads here playing catchup on new tech, etc. Thanks!

Are you a Yooper or under the bridge troll?

:D

Are you a Yooper or under the bridge troll?

:D
A troll I am. Boat kept in Cheboygan on lake Huron.

Northern Michigan is the Northern part of the lower peninsula...the UP is the UP :)

A troll I am. Boat kept in Cheboygan on lake Huron.

I’m a troll myself. Downriver Detroit native. In Alpena as a newspaper reporter 91-92. Now in the Chicago area since the mid 90s for work reasons. My first dive trip was Alpena in 2018. Didn’t recognize the town. Diving was awesome.

I got certified in 2006, so sounds like I've mostly been active since you got out of it. The main developments I've observed over my time in the hobby:

1.) Dive computers have come to heavily dominate vs. computers (in the U.S. and Caribbean region at least).

2.) Air integration in dive computers has grown more popular.

3.) Solo diving has become somewhat more accepted, aided by official certification offerings.

4.) If you like live-aboards in this region, Aggressor Fleet tends to have a 30%+ annual big sale; I think last year this kicked off sometime in early November. I try to avoid paying full price for live-aboards.

5.) I recently learned from another poster that at least in recent times airfare to Bonaire can be drastically cheaper booking Wed. - Wed. instead of Sat. - Sat., and I saved around $722 that way.

6.) The Conception dive boat tragedy in California a few years back led to some changes in regulations and practices in U.S. waters. Even when outside U.S. waters, I think some of us pay a little more attention to how we might exit a live-aboard boat in an emergency.

7.) Shark feed diving is controversial. I'm not sure just how long it's been around. Seems to be more discussed over time. Jupiter, Florida get a lot of attention for this; so does Tiger Beach in the Bahamas.

8.) Some destinations seem to've grown to discussion frequency and 'mindshare' on ScubaBoard; Curacao, the Socorros (via live-aboard) and the Cabo area (e.g.: Cabo San Lucas, Cabo Pulmo).

These are my impressions. Someone else may have very different views.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom