Hello from Minnesota

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Biz2000

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all, I am a recently certified OW diver and would like to meet buddies or anyone who can show me the ropes!

I'm in the central Minnesota area and looking to expand my realm of experience with different environments and skills, with hopes of maybe getting into the technical realm some day. I've already acquired most of my kit and am planning on completing my AOW in early September so I can maybe do ice dives in the winter (seems unlikely to happen this year but I'm going to try anyways).

Feel free to reach out, I'm always looking to go dive!

Welcome to Scubaboard. Very pleased to have you join us. We're looking forward to seeing more contributions from you here as you go about your scuba journey.

Hi Biz! I'm not sure if you are from Minneapolis or Central Minnesota, but Crosby is a great place to dive 2 hours North of the cities. That's probably where you'll go for your AOW dives.

I highly recommend you sign up for fun dives with any dive shop around so you can work on skills and meet new buddies. Aquaventure just had scubapalooza last weekend, but between Minnesota School of Diving, Midwest School of Diving, SE Scuba Escape, Aquaventure, St. Croix Scuba, and Scuba Center - there still should be more fun dives before winter rolls in.

Hi Biz! I'm not sure if you are from Minneapolis or Central Minnesota, but Crosby is a great place to dive 2 hours North of the cities. That's probably where you'll go for your AOW dives.

I highly recommend you sign up for fun dives with any dive shop around so you can work on skills and meet new buddies. Aquaventure just had scubapalooza last weekend, but between Minnesota School of Diving, Midwest School of Diving, SE Scuba Escape, Aquaventure, St. Croix Scuba, and Scuba Center - there still should be more fun dives before winter rolls in.
I'm really pumped for the mine pits eventually, and I've already met a few nice folks at fun dives around here. I have a little operation planned with a buddy I met on a fun dive to go and inspect/possibly recover a sunken boat in ~30'. Excited to see what treasures are down there besides finding out when the boat's registration expired.

I'm really pumped for the mine pits eventually, and I've already met a few nice folks at fun dives around here. I have a little operation planned with a buddy I met on a fun dive to go and inspect/possibly recover a sunken boat in ~30'. Excited to see what treasures are down there besides finding out when the boat's registration expired.

That sounds like an adventure! Be sure to post here on Scubaboard and ask (in the appropriate section) about the best way to recover it! Using a lift bag to recover an anchor was part of my AOW training a long time ago, but that was in 50’ visibility with a sandy bottom and I don’t know if that is best for a boat (potentially in weeds and muck). There will be people with a lot more experience that can give you better advice on how to safely and efficiently recover it.

We’ve had too many tragedies in MN recently of new scuba divers taking jobs removing lake weeds, not knowing the dangers, and somehow drowning. Anything that is going to potentially stir up muck or present an entanglement hazard needs to be approached with an appropriate amount of caution.

That sounds like an adventure! Be sure to post here on Scubaboard and ask (in the appropriate section) about the best way to recover it! Using a lift bag to recover an anchor was part of my AOW training a long time ago, but that was in 50’ visibility with a sandy bottom and I don’t know if that is best for a boat (potentially in weeds and muck). There will be people with a lot more experience that can give you better advice on how to safely and efficiently recover it.

We’ve had too many tragedies in MN recently of new scuba divers taking jobs removing lake weeds, not knowing the dangers, and somehow drowning. Anything that is going to potentially stir up muck or present an entanglement hazard needs to be approached with an appropriate amount of caution.
Very good advice on recovery, I’ve heard about some of those weed removal deaths, very very sad. I will be sure to study proper procedure before we attempt this recovery, and maybe we may not even take it up and instead just look for small items. I have a feeling someone was trying to avoid having to pay for disposal of it somewhere, and just sank it thinking no one would find it.

Welcome. Where did you get certified? My daughter is in school in St. Cloud and is interested.

Welcome. Where did you get certified? My daughter is in school in St. Cloud and is interested.
I actually went through St.Croix scuba in Wisconsin since it was close enough to the cities, good pricing and instructors. If she is in St. Cloud she should look into Minnesota School of Diving since I think they are up in that neck of the woods.

Back
Top Bottom