Hello from Minnesota

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doc.mosi

New
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello everyone.

I’m Dave and I’m new here (obviously). I’m also new to the dive community. I’ve never been diving. I’m not certified. I’m interested in diving though. My fiancé and I are going to take classes this summer for certification. We love to travel and often opine when we reach a place, we should have certified before this trip.

So, the water is a little hard this time of year around here, plus life gets in the way, so summer it is for our training.

Anyway, I joined. I’m looking around and trying to learn a little in advance and locate resources that’ll understand once I’ve had some basic instruction and actually begin getting wet. :D

I’ll work hard to not step on toes and to search for answers before posting questions. Thanks in advance for all the knowledge I know will be shared.

Dave

Welcome to SB, Dave. Have fun!

Dave,

Welcome to SB! In my experience it has a been a fun resource. Tips, gear sales, dive site info, finding local dive buddies, you name it.

SB has a ton of brand new divers, advanced divers and trainers participating which makes it pretty cool community. Just keep in mind that advice offered here (like any forum) can range in quality so my top piece of advice is when you do decide to get certified, work with a dive shop and instructor you feel good about. The specific training agency isn't frankly as important in my opinion, as long as you avoid some random non credentialed agency like Bob's Backalley Divers or something. But PADI, SSI, SDI, etc. all offer quite similar course work.

Similarly, there are ton of great resources you can research now to make yourself more knowledgeable when it is time to start training. I'd suggest doing some YouTube research for basics on equipment (if you choose to buy your own after certification). It can be a considerable expense so it pays to have a bit of knowledge. You wouldn't walk into a car dealership not knowing anything about cars and buy whatever the salesman says, right? Unfortunately that's the standard in SCUBA, so educate yourself!

When it comes to training, there are a ton of specialty courses available to you beyond your baseline (AKA Open Water) certification. Some can be great, some can be just... an expense without a ton of payoff. Again, your instructor is a huge factor in the value of any education you receive.

YouTube channels like Simply Scuba and Divers Ready have a lot of content that caters to new divers and can help add some useful context to the exciting world you're about to enter into.

I'm a native Minnesotan myself so next time I'm back home, I'll send you a message and if you're certified by then you can show me the local diving.

Have fun and dive safe.

Is there a basic knowledge source. We are getting signed up for our cert class this summer. I’m doing some board browsing and just the sheer volume of abbreviations and acronyms is a huge hurdle to understanding what I’m reading.

Just a basic file with vocabulary would be useful.

Thanks

Your best leads will be through the organization (dive store/Instructor) that you will be taking your classes from. In Minnesota , the local diving season start around the 2nd /3rd weekend of May and lasts till the middle of October. The water and air temperature have to be just right for diving to be enjoyable for beginners. As you gain more experience and decide to explore the local diving scene the reality of your diving will be COLD Water. Most people who take up the sport usually plan to dive in warm water destinations and they usually travel to escape the winter. If you have specific questions just PM me.

Something else you can do for fun (assuming you have an iPhone or Android :) )
Load 'Scuba Exam Lite' (theres also a paid version but lite will do in most cases.
It tests you on Open Water Certification questions. It is pretty good.
It allows you to choose between PADI, NAUI and SSI - Metric/Imperial, but all the questions are basically the same.
1649356800358.png

Your best leads will be through the organization (dive store/Instructor) that you will be taking your classes from. In Minnesota , the local diving season start around the 2nd /3rd weekend of May and lasts till the middle of October. The water and air temperature have to be just right for diving to be enjoyable for beginners. As you gain more experience and decide to explore the local diving scene the reality of your diving will be COLD Water. Most people who take up the sport usually plan to dive in warm water destinations and they usually travel to escape the winter. If you have specific questions just PM me.
Thanks for the reply. I guess we do plan to escape the cold to dive. We usually take at least one warm water trip a year. It’s these yearly beach escapes that have spurred our interest in diving. Sitting on the beach or snorkeling and seeing the people going out to dive…we always say “we’ll get certified before the next trip”. We’ll, we are actually doing that this year.

Although, I’m not totally against diving in MN. I just need to learn the basics and figure out what I’d need to dive safely in the colder climates. :D

Something else you can do for fun (assuming you have an iPhone or Android :) )
Load 'Scuba Exam Lite' (theres also a paid version but lite will do in most cases.
It tests you on Open Water Certification questions. It is pretty good.
It allows you to choose between PADI, NAUI and SSI - Metric/Imperial, but all the questions are basically the same.
View attachment 716434
Thanks for the reply and tip. I’ll check out this app.

I’m doing some board browsing and just the sheer volume of abbreviations and acronyms is a huge hurdle to understanding what I’m reading.
I imagine your course includes free online access to the 'read and learn' portion of the instruction? That will get you grounded in the basics. I'll try to explain a few you might find handy, off the top of my head.

1.) OW - Open Water - the true entry level recreational scuba diving certification. 'Discover Scuba' is more a partial cert. with shallower recommended depth limit and meant for you to dive with a professional, from what I recall. The OW cert. is your doorway to recreational scuba diving.

2.) AOW - Advanced OW - gives you some more dives under professional supervision, an appetizer sampler of some specialties (e.g.: deep - between 60 and 100 feet deep, navigating via compass, etc...). Sometimes requires by dive operators for deeper dives, or who want more seasoned customers.

3.) BCD - Buoyancy Control Device - most first encounter the jacket style, the inflatable vest you wear to achieve neutral buoyancy so you can cover without having to constantly fin up to hold your position. An alternative is BP/W, the back plate/wing system, with a plate over your back to which an inflatable air bladder is secured. The latter is preferred by some people and common in technical diving (which exceeds the recommended limits of recreational diving).

4.) Regulator - the piece of gear between your tank and your mouth. The first stage attaches to your tank, then there's a hose, then the 2nd stage is what is in front of your mouth.

5.) Tanks - AL (aluminum) and steel.

6.) Tank pressure is often given in CF (cubic feet).

7.) SAC - surface air consumption rate, in theory how fast we breathe through your tank's air supply at the surface, but usually corrected for the pressure at the depth we're diving. It's a way of getting a sense of how fast you breathe through your tank, and how that compares to other people.

8.) Viz. - visibility, which I've seen defined as the distance you can make another diver out as such underwater (there may be other definitions in use). Often given as around 30 feet, 50 feet, 70-80 feet or 100+ feet. A rough judgment call.

9.) Dive op. - a dive services provider, such as may run dive boats and take you out to the dive sites.

10.) PADI, SSI, SDI, NAUI and a number of others - organizations offering a range of recreational (and sometimes technical) dive courses, typically leading to certification at some level. At the open water level, which one you use probably won't make much difference. The quality of your instructor, and the effort you put into learning what he/she teaches, is the bigger issue.

Also, let's say you do your training with a dive shop staff member who certifies you through SSI, and you're looking at dive op.s on some island in the Caribbean, and you see they are PADI-affiliated, not SSI. It makes no difference. The shop being a '5-Star PADI facility' has no bearing on whether you can dive with them using your OW cert. that's PADI, SSI, SDI or NAUI. Once you get past OW, some of the specific names of similar courses may differ slightly by agency, but this isn't likely to be troublesome.

Similarly, if you get an SSI OW cert., and want to take a PADI AOW course with another instructor, I don't think you'll have any problem with your OW cert. meeting the pre-requisite requirement. Double-check if that's a concern.

With all the certifications out there, you may wonder how many you 'need,' or should plan to try to get. For mainstream recreational diving, I suggest:

1.) OW - your entry to diving.
2.) AOW - for deeper dives, dives targeting the more seasoned, etc...
3.) Nitrox - helps you get longer deep dives, and is required by some operators for some of their dives.

The Rescue Diver course is good for helping you develop mindfulness and understand what can go wrong and how to react.

Hi Dave! I'm new to the board, too. I scuba dive in MN and enjoy it a lot. My spouse and I did our dive training/scuba cert with the Minnesota School of Diving. I highly recommend them! Minnesota School of Diving has the absolute best knowledge of all of the flooded pit mine dive sites within the Cuyuna recreation area. If Brainerd is far from you, you can opt to do the classroom portion of your training online through PADI's eLearning program. That way you'll only have to travel to Brainerd to do the pool and open water check-out dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom