Hello From Michigan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ODD Diver 13

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All, I'm JP from Michigan.

Fairly new to diving, went on half a dozen shallow dives with several highly certified friends before deciding to get certified myself. I've been lurking around the forums for quite some time trying to gather knowledge and insights on gear, diving locations, etc.

If anyone has a quick tip or a comment like "once I learned ... diving became easier, more fun/enjoyable", I'd love to learn!

Howdy and Welcome from Texas!! What's worked for me was finding an awesome instructor, and planning on diving wherever I can when I travel. I also have held off on photography so far, in order to concentrate on the moment and simply enjoy.

Hi All, I'm JP from Michigan.

Fairly new to diving, went on half a dozen shallow dives with several highly certified friends before deciding to get certified myself. I've been lurking around the forums for quite some time trying to gather knowledge and insights on gear, diving locations, etc.

If anyone has a quick tip or a comment like "once I learned ... diving became easier, more fun/enjoyable", I'd love to learn!

I have just one question: Great Lakes or tropical?

I have just one question: Great Lakes or tropical?
So far, mostly just inland lakes in Michigan. Planning a trip to the Caribbean for Jan/feb/March of 2022 so I hope to get as much experience in Michigan before going on the trip.

Versluis Lake behind Moby’s?
Certified in Lake 16 actually. with about 3 ft visability and 43 degree water. I'm looking forward to some warm water diving in the Caribbean on this upcoming trip.

Certified in Lake 16 actually. with about 3 ft visability and 43 degree water. I'm looking forward to some warm water diving in the Caribbean on this upcoming trip.
Caribbean is certainly nice and warm, I’m sure I’ll get crap for this, but I sometimes enjoy the low
Visibility, or no visibility, it makes the dive challenging.
3’ is pretty good, compared to where we dive

You must have gone with Doug from great lakes dive locker or Mike from American dive zone. Lake 16 is usually better viz when it's cold. 3' must have been fun. Caribbean is a different beast, and I'm sure you'll love it. Do you have access to a boat for diving the lakes?

For me, I have a hard time equalizing, so my descent is slow. I now breathe in, equalize, breathe out, repeat until I'm at depth. Otherwise it'll get away from me, and I have a bad time. I used to go until I felt the pressure, not discomfort, but just pressure. For me, that was waiting too long.

Back
Top Bottom