Hello from land-locked Michigan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gajahduduk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hey everyone. just a first post before getting on to the real stuff shortly.

i'm living in michigan but have been diving all over the world, mostly in southeast asia but also in central america and turkey and the US west coast and hawaii.

Welcome to SB

I thought MI was a peninsula, how could it be land locked?

Welcome to Scubaboard!

I can't remember the number but, isn't the fact something like there isn't a place in Michigan that is more than 15? miles from water? Be it a pond, lake, river or the Great Lakes.

awesome you have been all over the world. Would love to hear your dive stories as well as where in MI you are located.

We'll be leaving Michigan in 3 weeks but, if you are up for some SE MI diving.....we'll be doing a lot.

As a native Michigander, the Great Lakes can provide countless opportunities for COLD and murky wreck diving. But, it's not for everyone (including me.) As far as feeling "land-locked" in a state complete with 11,000 inland lakes and hundreds of rivers and streams? Well, perhaps it's time you look into a salt water destination get away!

ok y'all are right. land-locked is not exactly right, is it? ;-) only been living here a couple years and never really been interested in freshwater diving (other than some cave diving i did in the yucatan which was very cool). but maybe it's time to give it a second look, huh? done a bit of wreck diving before (actually most recently in san diego) -- but never that interested without a lot of life. is there any diving to be done in the lakes with a lot of life?

...... maybe it's time to give it a second look, huh? done a bit of wreck diving before (actually most recently in san diego) -- but never that interested without a lot of life. is there any diving to be done in the lakes with a lot of life?

You will never find a Great Lakes dive that has life that can compete with coral reefs. We get excited about burbot, and they are ugly :wink:
Great Lakes diving is about the wrecks. Like Schwim said, some of the best wreck diving in the world is located here. I love all types of diving including reef diving. The warm water stuff is really a vacation in comparison. But for me the Great Lakes are worth the extra work. And, you don't have to chase all of those darn fish out of the way to see the wrecks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom