Hello from Ireland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, I'm a lapsed diver getting back into it. I've ben certified to PADI AOW, but had an 18 year gap between last dive and recent refresher :eek:

I have nearly thirty dives under my belt, in Ireland, Turkey, Australia and Malaysia. But, adult life got in the way there for a bit :)

I'm looking into signing up with my local CMAS club who will require me to undergo basic training, I'm fine with that and looking forward to it. I've been lurking on the forum for a couple of weeks and it's a fantastic resource!

Fàilte

There's some good diving in your neck of the woods, I hope you manage to return to this brilliant hobby and make up for lost time :D

Welcome to ScubaBoard! Glad you chose to get back under the water!

Hiya! Glad to hear that you're getting back into diving. Let us know how your re-entry into the hobby goes.

Hi, I'm a lapsed diver getting back into it. I've ben certified to PADI AOW, but had an 18 year gap between last dive and recent refresher :eek:

I have nearly thirty dives under my belt, in Ireland, Turkey, Australia and Malaysia. But, adult life got in the way there for a bit :)

I'm looking into signing up with my local CMAS club who will require me to undergo basic training, I'm fine with that and looking forward to it. I've been lurking on the forum for a couple of weeks and it's a fantastic resource!
Hello from Shannon area
Been in Cork few times and loved it, beautiful city!
If you plan to dive in West Clare next year - give me a shout and we could hook up!

I have nearly thirty dives under my belt, in Ireland, Turkey, Australia and Malaysia.
That's a very interesting set of places. Judging from a world map, Ireland I presume has cold water diving, as the U.K. is known for. But what is the diving in Malaysia like? What about Turkey?

Scuba Board has an international membership who dive 'all over,' but I don't recall reading about the diving in those 2 places.

I have heard the name, but I don't have the best grasp of some of these, to me, 'far flung' foreign destinations I've never been near. I do see Sipidan mentioned, albeit for whatever reasons not nearly as often as Raja Ampat or Komodo, for example.

I have heard the name, but I don't have the best grasp of some of these, to me, 'far flung' foreign destinations I've never been near. I do see Sipidan mentioned, albeit for whatever reasons not nearly as often as Raja Ampat or Komodo, for example.

Well you are American so we can forgive you for your lack of knowledge outside of your locale :rofl3:

I jest of course.

Perhaps it should be kept a secret then, but the diving around that island is awesome as well as the diving nearby for macro (Mabul Island).

The Malaysian government had to remove the dive resorts from Sipadan as it was getting overcrowded back in the 90s.

I returned back in July 2011 with no resorts on the island, a big change since my last dives there in March 1992 as everyone had to stay on Mabul and other places nearby. Greed and over diving forced the government to step in to preserve the place. When I dived there in 1992 there was only one "resort" run by Borneo Divers and although it was basic (no AC only fans in local made huts), the diving was awesome.

Back
Top Bottom