Hello from Indian in Ho Chi Minh City,Vietnam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Indian

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello Friends,

Am an Indian living in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. Though not an expert swimmer, am extremely interested in diving and am planning to do my open water! Need some help from you guys to decide the location. Am planing to do my classroom and confined water sessions with Rainbow Divers, Ho Chi Minh City and my Open Water dives in Tioman Island, Malaysia. Is doing both the parts in different countries and with different dive centers a good idea? Will there be an gaps in my learning? Please reply!

Rainbow Divers is an excellent dive operation. I'd recommend you take the opportunity to do your full course with them. You can do some really enjoyable open water dives in Nha Trang.

Then, having completed your OW course - go to Malaysia and enjoy the diving there as a fully qualified diver.

However, there is no issue with refering to another dive operation to finish your course, providing both scuba centres are from the same agency (i.e. PADI) or are otherwise willing to participate in the Universal Referal Program (most SSI shops are, some PADI don't).

You may end up paying a little more if you use a referal though... as the costs from the different dive centres may not align.

Thanks a lot Andy for ur advice. I do know that Rainbow divers have a great reputation in Vietnam. I have done my try dive with them. I checked with them and they said referral was not an issue. When they heard I am going to Tioman they suggested that Tioman is better than Nha Trang. Tioman has plenty of PADI operators too. I do agree with you that it might be expensive but since I live and work in HCMC I can save some time at Tioman by doing the pre-work here.

According to them I have 2 choices 1. E-learning + Confined water at HCMC 2. Class room + confined water at HCMC. What do you recommend? I think Classroom looks a better option as its more interactive.

Also my concern is on the learning front-will doing the course at 2 different dive shops impact the learning in any way? Will the discontinuity lead to incomplete knowledge acquistion?

Pls help.

E-learning is more expensive too. The benefit of classroom study is that a good instructor can go beyond the basic syllabus and give you a more in-depth lesson. The PADI material (in the manuals, DVDs and E-Learning) is sufficient for you to dive safely - but there are good tips and hints that you can only get from a seasoned instructor.

E-learning is a great option if time is critical...and you enjoy spending time on your PC whilst at work or home, with little else to do :wink:

I dove with Rainbow Divers at their Hoi An location a few years back. Good people to go diving with!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom