Hello From Illinois USA!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I'm Catherine and I'm here to help my daughter get some good diving information. She just got certified this summer and wants a career diving/studying/photographing with sharks and shark conservation. Thanks for having me. Looks like an amazing community.

Welcome to ScubaBoard! We're glad that you're here, we'd love for her to join as well!

Welcome!

I see in your profile that she's beginning college soon. She'll probably want an AAUS Scientific Diver cert rather than a recreational PADI cert. Here's some info about that here: How to become a Scientific Diver (just the first website about AAUS certs in my google search results). I would expect the university to have additional details on AAUS certification.

I'm not saying you need to jump on that now. It's probably something that will happen in college or maybe after college. I think it's good to know what's ahead. Also, it's worth ensuring that the school she attends is on this list: Organizational Members (Public). If not, she may end up attending multiple schools. I don't think that's entirely uncommon.

For now, dive dive dive. Comfort in the water, and around sharks in particular, will be important for her. Who knows, maybe after she does dive 300 the magic will have worn off and she'll want to be a doctor instead?

Also, she may enjoy volunteering at a local aquarium. I did that for a few years, and had a good time. The aquarium I volunteered at did not require AAUS certification, but did require some extra safety courses such as DAN First Aid which they provided for no charge. Those DAN courses are available at many dive shops and are a great idea for any diver in my opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom