Hello from Houston about to go to Bali!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jsjess

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi! I'm a recreational diver and I LOVE it. I'd dive more if I lived anywhere near where good diving didn't require a plane ride.

We're about to head out to Bali next week and would like recs for a good dive shop. I'd done some preliminary research but I'm sure there are a lot more good, reputable safe dive shops than I've found (mainly one). The reason I want more choice is that I'd like to confirm that that outrageous prices we were quoted are market rate (twice + more expensive than diving in Maui was last year).

If this is not the forum to post this, can you please point me in the right direction? Normally I'd take the time to lurk and learn before asking but after many weeks of research, we're up to the last few days and need to decide pronto so any shortcuts you can all facilitate me are most welcome!

Any other divers in Houston?

Cheers,

Jessica

Hi! I'm a recreational diver and I LOVE it. I'd dive more if I lived anywhere near where good diving didn't require a plane ride.

We're about to head out to Bali next week and would like recs for a good dive shop. I'd done some preliminary research but I'm sure there are a lot more good, reputable safe dive shops than I've found (mainly one). The reason I want more choice is that I'd like to confirm that that outrageous prices we were quoted are market rate (twice + more expensive than diving in Maui was last year).

If this is not the forum to post this, can you please point me in the right direction? Normally I'd take the time to lurk and learn before asking but after many weeks of research, we're up to the last few days and need to decide pronto so any shortcuts you can all facilitate me are most welcome!

Any other divers in Houston?

Cheers,

Jessica

Where in Bali do you plan to dive ?

John,
Based on my research: planned to dive in Nusa Penida and either Tulamben or Padang Bai (or maybe all of it if we can squeeze it.
Thanks,
Jessica

Welcome to SCUBAboard!

Have Fun diving in Bali.

John,
Based on my research: planned to dive in Nusa Penida and either Tulamben or Padang Bai (or maybe all of it if we can squeeze it.
Thanks,
Jessica

Next year will be my 5th trip to Bali. . .

Unless you're very comfortable in potentially big currents, based on your profile I suggest giving Nusa Penida a skip (besides I think the little stuff is much more interesting than a big fish in blue water)

You're going to have a DM/guide bolted to you in Bali, get used to it. Their pool, their rules. Given that, I'm diving with Liberty Wreck Dive in Tulamben next year and looking at $30/dive with discounts for more dives (EAN is free).

I agree that the operators in Padang Bai seem expensive (particularly for shore dives). I don't have much to offer you there, I'm planning on basing in Tulamben and taking a day trip to Padang Bai.

Consider the Jemeluk area (again remember I prefer small critters/muck diving). The Blue Moon is one of my favorite places to stay and Eco Dive in Jemeluk is a very good operator

Next year will be my 5th trip to Bali. . .

Unless you're very comfortable in potentially big currents, based on your profile I suggest giving Nusa Penida a skip (besides I think the little stuff is much more interesting than a big fish in blue water)

You're going to have a DM/guide bolted to you in Bali, get used to it. Their pool, their rules. Given that, I'm diving with Liberty Wreck Dive in Tulamben next year and looking at $30/dive with discounts for more dives (EAN is free).

I agree that the operators in Padang Bai seem expensive (particularly for shore dives). I don't have much to offer you there, I'm planning on basing in Tulamben and taking a day trip to Padang Bai.

Consider the Jemeluk area (again remember I prefer small critters/muck diving). The Blue Moon is one of my favorite places to stay and Eco Dive in Jemeluk is a very good operator

Thanks for the advice! Much appreciated. The dive shop that gave us the quote for Nusa Penida was at $228/ per person (including equipment and a private guide). Which I found outrageous to pay $456 for two people to do 3 dives. I'm ok with paying a bit extra to have a DM bolted to me in Bali. In fact, I'd welcome it and would feel better/safer but those prices seemed just plain ridiculous and I needed to know whether that was the going rate in Bali or I'd managed to find the dive shop for the rich and famous and not $$ minded! The quote for Tulambem was $124 each and for Padang Bai was $144 each (each for 2 dives). :)

Thanks for the advice. I'll think about what you said about skipping Nusa Penida and look into the other sites. I was on the fence about the currents as it is!
Cheers,
Jessica

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom