Hello from Hawaii!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Simon B.

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone! Long time viewer, first time poster. Love this board and the great community of divers posting experiences, weird stories, gear discussions, and dive vacation plans! Finally got off my keister and started sponsoring this board.

I've been diving since 1998, got certified in the Philippines and enjoyed the heck out of it for 3 years. Then I did no diving for 14 years, and got back into it -- best choice I've made! I even convinced the wife to get certified so we could see all that cool stuff underwater and I've been pestering her to go diving as much as possible since then. We mostly do warm-water diving, and really loved Bonaire, Cozumel, and Roatan, and we're hoping to do as much diving in as varied places as we can, even if it's just reading up on other people's awesome experiences. With some warmer gear, I'd love to do some colder water diving as well. I think my favorite thing about diving is meeting all sorts of great people in the places we go and the awesome community there is who is excited about seeing and conserving the ocean and its inhabitants!

Cheers,
Simon

Welcome! Sounds like you're rounding out a good variety of dive destinations. If you want colder water diving, you could try California, such as the Channel Islands.

Richard.

Hi @Simon B.

I had 17 years off between 1980 and 1997, since then, i have been very active. Enjoy your diving.
Definitely looking forward to it! I've heard great things about California and Washington/BC, and have my eye on New Zealand if I can make it there while I'm in the middle of the a Pacific.

Welcome to Scubaboard, Simon B! Great to have you with us.

I look forward to reading more of your contributions here.

Well met! Mind if I ask which island? Family lives on Maui and I will be back to play on Mala this summer. My wife wants to see other islands, but it is hard to skip "home."

Currently Oahu, although I'm expanding my success to the other islands, dude a bit on Kauai a while ago and some one the Big Island more recently. Haven't been to Maui yet, but it's one the to do list!

Currently Oahu, although I'm expanding my success to the other islands, dude a bit on Kauai a while ago and some one the Big Island more recently. Haven't been to Maui yet, but it's one the to do list!

The Big Island has phenomenal diving. If you haven't been there already, there are eagle rays, dolphins, and tiger sharks waiting for you on a shore dive right from Alua Beach, right off the harbor. There are turtle cleaning stations also accessible from shore, just ask at your dive shop of choice for directions to the site. And of course, the manta night dives, which in my opinion are best done as a two tank twilight-night combination off a boat. In the south of the Big Island, there are reports of frequent sightings of schooling hammerheads right off of shore dives as well. If I lived in Oahu, I wouldn't bother with Caribbean diving until I'd had my fill of all the big stuff in the Big Island! I envy you . . .

The Big Island has phenomenal diving. ... If I lived in Oahu, I wouldn't bother with Caribbean diving until I'd had my fill of all the big stuff in the Big Island! I envy you . . .

No kidding! Spent a week boat diving and I feel like we barely scratched the surface of Big Island diving. Did a check shore dive at Two Step and couldn't believe how much vibrant marine life was just right there waiting as soon as you get in the water. Tried a manta snorkel (dives were booked) and "only" saw some dolphins making good use of the lights, but we did see one manta on a day dive, thankfully. I'll be back a bunch more, no doubt!

Back
Top Bottom