Hello From Georgia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WolvenOne

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey,

My name is Chris, I'm from Georgia.

I recently got my Open Water Cert and have been itching to get back into the water. I'm looking to do a lot of lake diving for cleanup and fun. I have my Nitrox cert and I'm currently doing my Deep Diving. I want to add Altitude as soon as my shop opens back up.

Pretty much every scuba related question I have put into google has led me here, so I figured it would be worth while to join.

If anyone has any info on lake or ocean cleanups I'd love to hear it. I've done a lot of looking into the different groups who host cleanups and most are too far away to just jump in and help. So I'm looking to find a smaller, closer group to do cleanups with, or maybe just a buddy or two. I have a close friend that I've convinced to get his Open Water, so soon I'll have a built in buddy for diving as well.

howdy, welcome and congratulations from southeast Florida....perhaps you could start your own lake area cleanup through your favorite social media program or find one already in progress...anyway good luck and happy diving.

howdy, welcome and congratulations from southeast Florida....perhaps you could start your own lake area cleanup through your favorite social media program or find one already in progress...anyway good luck and happy diving.

I was looking at starting my own cleanup, even if it starts with just a few people. Thank you! The best of luck to you as well!

If you get to Japan, there’s a lake cleanup around Fujisan every June. Only one dive on a Saturday and another on Sunday because everyone breaks for lunch, starts drinking beer then cannot do the afternoon dive.

@WolvenOne

What part of Georgia are you from? Where do you dive? I'd suggest looking for FB groups where you can inquire about cleanup opportunities. Lakes definitely need them, especially by boat ramps and marinas.

Hey Chris, diver from Augusta here. What kind of diving do you do?

As of right now its solely recreational, but eventually as I get more dives under my belt I know I'll start looking at more technical diving. But I would love to do cleanups and outside of deep diving and altitude, I'm looking to add a wreck diving cert sooner rather than later.

What kind of diving do you do?

If you get to Japan, there’s a lake cleanup around Fujisan every June. Only one dive on a Saturday and another on Sunday because everyone breaks for lunch, starts drinking beer then cannot do the afternoon dive.

I don't know if I'll have the opportunity to go to Japan any time soon, but I'll definitely keep that in mind. Thank you!

@WolvenOne

What part of Georgia are you from? Where do you dive? I'd suggest looking for FB groups where you can inquire about cleanup opportunities. Lakes definitely need them, especially by boat ramps and marinas.

I live in Roswell.

I haven't had the opportunity to frequent anywhere yet, but I did my check out dives in Blue Grotto and Devil's Den and I've done one additional dive in Blue Grotto since then. I travel for work and a lot of it is to Florida, so I hoping to start bringing my gear and maybe extending my trips by a day or so to get more dives in wherever I go. I drive, so traveling with heavy gear isn't really a problem. Obviously I'm not traveling much right now with Covid-19 and all.

The facebook groups is a good idea. I grew up going to lake Burton and Rabun as a kid, so when I started looking at ocean cleanup and wanted something closer I started thinking of all the garbage I saw in the lakes. Even in the shallower spots near the shore.

As of right now its solely recreational, but eventually as I get more dives under my belt I know I'll start looking at more technical diving. But I would love to do cleanups and outside of deep diving and altitude, I'm looking to add a wreck diving cert sooner rather than later.

What kind of diving do you do?

I started about where you are. I quickly found that I wanted to get serious with diving and dive throughout the year. That led me to discover DIR diving and then GUE since I believe in the buy once/cry once mentality. I think its worth checking out.

I do rec diving currently but I'm very shortly going to be qualified enough (hopefully) to start cave diving.

Back
Top Bottom