Hello from DC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LDBuckley

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello divers: New diver here who certified in 2016, then took a pause from 2018 until last month. Enjoyed two dives in Dominican Republic last month and I’m excited to dive again. Stay safe and well everyone! -LB

Welcome. What part of the Dominican Republic did you stay in and dive at? I ask because on ScubaBoard, the highest praise seems to go to Scuba Fun in the Bayahibe region, but a lot of general vacationers go to a different area. What did you think of it?

Richard.

Welcome. What part of the Dominican Republic did you stay in and dive at? I ask because on ScubaBoard, the highest praise seems to go to Scuba Fun in the Bayahibe region, but a lot of general vacationers go to a different area. What did you think of it?

Richard.
We stayed in Punta Cana but dove with Scuba Fun in Bayahibe. Only one two tank boat dive but the operation was very good and we found the dives enjoyable and easy. Max depth approx 40’, good weather and visibiliTy, would dive with Scuba Fun again but likely won’t be going back to the DR due to other destinations taking priority (some to repeat: Bonaire, and many others to dive for the first time.)

Cheers,

Lawrence

We stayed in Punta Cana but dove with Scuba Fun in Bayahibe. Only one two tank boat dive but the operation was very good and we found the dives enjoyable and easy.
Interesting! My only visit to the DR was a cruise stop in Samana, not known for diving; the wife and I did an ATV tour (nice!). I'd assumed Punta Cana and Bayahibe were too far apart to make what you did practical.

So, how long did it take you to get to where you met up with Scuba Fun that day, and how did you do it? Rent a car? If you'd committed to dive with them daily for 4 or 5 days, how much time and hassle would that have entailed?

IIRC, Punta Cana seems to be a key destination for vacationers. It stands to reason divers traveling with non-diving family may be torn between there and Bayahibe.

Hello divers: New diver here who certified in 2016, then took a pause from 2018 until last month. Enjoyed two dives in Dominican Republic last month and I’m excited to dive again. Stay safe and well everyone! -LB

Welcome! There is a big diving community in your area. Great to have you on this forum.

Welcome to the board!

I live in Richmond but I lived in DC from 2017-2020. I still have several friends in DC and the surrounding suburbs so I make it up there fairly often.

I recently did some classes with Woodbridge Scuba. Ed the owner is super friendly and I was happy with the quality of their instructors. I would highly recommend checking them out.

Interesting! My only visit to the DR was a cruise stop in Samana, not known for diving; the wife and I did an ATV tour (nice!). I'd assumed Punta Cana and Bayahibe were too far apart to make what you did practical.

So, how long did it take you to get to where you met up with Scuba Fun that day, and how did you do it? Rent a car? If you'd committed to dive with them daily for 4 or 5 days, how much time and hassle would that have entailed?

IIRC, Punta Cana seems to be a key destination for vacationers. It stands to reason divers traveling with non-diving family may be torn between there and Bayahibe.
Richard - It was about 55 min by car to Bayahibe. Scuba Fun offered a package with the taxi included for a fair price. The time factor (and non-diving family members) kept us to one day of diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom