Hello from Connecticut

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uber Dave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi fellow Divers, I've been away from diving for quite some time. I am certified as a MSDT (non teaching status since 2001), however I'm ready to start up again by first doing a live aboard in February for 7 days to get my feet wet again so to speak. Once I get tuned up I will start looking to get re-certified again. I talked to PADI and I have to do the IDC over again which I can understand. But I plan on doing some dive trips to the roatans this summer along with another live aboard along with some New England wreck dives. I'm hoping sometime next year to do the IDC. Wish me luck.

Last edited:
I'm going on Blackbeard's "Morning Glory" in February. The price was right. Should be fun

Welcome back Dave from a Connecticut newbie. :)

Since this is my first trip with Blackbeards, I was told the water might be a little chilly so I bought a Scubapro Definition 5mm suit to bring. Can anyone on this forum recommend what to pack?

Over-the-counter or prescription med.s; you can't just run down to the pharmacy on a boat. I like to take 24 hour Sudafed, Ibuprofen, triple antibiotic ointment (for scrapes, etc...), swimmer's ear preventive drops, Bonine (even if you're not prone to motion sickness), a pill form equivalent to PeptoBismol, antacid tablets, Imodium, Flonase (I like to prevent congestion & ear squeezes), Claritin, etc... If you shave under your nose & such to improve mask seal, be sure you've got a shaving razor. Tooth paste & tooth brush. Deodorant! Ear plugs in case people snore.

If you bring a Save-A-Dive kit with o-rings, could come in handy. Extra fin strap if you don't have spring straps; extra mask strap. Maybe bring an extra mask. If you bring a scuba tool, put it in checked luggage for the flight; at an airport in Grand Cayman they wouldn't let me on the plane with a 'tool.'

A little notebook with water-resistant paper (e.g.: Rite in the Rain, Wetnotes) can be good for taking dive brief notes & after-dive-notes for logging later, without worrying about all the dripping water & puddles.

Lycra socks, to protect your feet inside your boots/booties from multiple dives over multiple days. Water softens your skin. I wasn't a believer till I found out in practice. Get these.

If you take pictures, see if you have the capability to back up your memory card to your smart phone, but use a large enough memory card you don't have to erase after the dives. That way you've got backup in case of camera case flood, or loss of phone.

Charger cable for your stuff. Last trip, I forgot the lightning connection for my iPhone & iPad. Buying one at the airport tore me a new one! A little portable surge protector might come in handy; not sure about Blackbeards (haven't done that one).

Other people can add more. Some bring clothes pins to help hand stuff up outside; don't know how common that is. My tips are for live-aboard generally; from what I'm told Blackbeards doesn't offer you much personal storage space, so be mindful of that.

Richard.

that is correct you will have to complete a IDC again- but alot shorter in duration and have to take IE again- Padi holds them 3 times per year at Dutch Springs. There is a vey good CD in Danbury, Ct.- Peter Hearn who you might consider.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom