Hello from Cincinnati! (area)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDoo83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My name is Brandon, brand spankin new to diving. Currently getting certified in OW with the hopes of becoming an instructor and teaching abroad. I tire of the confines of the office.

Anyway, I'm about to spend an insane amount of money on all of my gear and would like to use it as much as possible so I'll be looking for dive buddies regularly.

Welcome. I was born and raised in Harrison, OH, very near you. Left there 37 years ago and the adventure continues.

I became and instructor and was teaching in Boracay, Philippines for a few months. But had to get a real job to pay kid's college tuitions.

Don't know how set you are financially, but if you're intending to teach abroad, you might consider MOVING abroad now and take courses in a resort type area. SE Asia, Caribbean….But SE Asis is cheaper. Then you're living the dive life. Dive everyday, meet others who've done what you're intending to do. And one thing I've learned over the years…..once you start down a road, you never know where you might end up.

Good luck

Thanks Hank! I'm making pretty decent money in my IT job now. My company recently announced they are moving to Plano Texas so that pretty much put a timeline on things for me. I figure I'd finish up my OW (I'm doing it now) then take a few specialty courses while staying around here for a bit longer while saving as much money as possible. I've got a decent sum saved (outside of my retirement funds) at the moment. I am also a 30 year old male with no wife/kids/mortgage. Do you think it wise to just move over there and start taking classes with no employment lined up? I guess south Thailand would be fairly cheap and I would assume you could do the classes cheaper than here. I could always make a bit of income online as well. The only problem is my student loans will have to start being paid in a year or so. Other than that, I'm debt free.

I've traveled abroad a few times before and each time was the best I've ever felt in my life. I need the escapism. I have also always been a huge fan of anything that has to do with the water. Skiing, jet skis, para sailing, snorkeling you name it, I'm into it.

All I know is, the office is soulless and I seek more adventure.

---------- Post added July 7th, 2014 at 08:18 PM ----------

Oh and BTW, I just got back from my dive center, I pulled the trigger on my MK25/S600 regulator set, Knighthawk BC and Galileo Luna dive PC. I'm in deep now!

If you rent a cheap place and live like the locals you won't spend much, except for the dive training. If you're there doing courses all the way to DM or your IE and help out around the shop, cleaning, loading tanks etc….maybe learn to work on regs, shops are always looking for a good person to work there. Lots of transients. You will have to work in a working visa or residence if you plan to stay long. It can be done.

Back
Top Bottom