Hello from...checks map...Tampa, FL - but not for long!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone!

I'm a digital nomad, currently in Tampa for the holidays but I don't spend much time in the USA. I started diving in 2014 (NAUI), got my enriched air cert in 2015 (ANMP), got advanced and wreck certified in 2019 (PADI), and got my deep diver cert this year (PADI).

I joined the board because it comes up so often during my searches for diving info online, so I figured it would be easier to become a member. The more I dive, the more I enjoy it, so I guess it's becoming a bit of an addiction.

As a nomad, everything I own has to fit in a 50 lb (23 kg) checked bag or in my carry-on. I own a mask, snorkel, weight belt, fins, and boots but I only travel with the boots right now. I've been trying to dump weight for my checked bag so I can buy a BCD (I'm seriously considering a BP/W setup) to travel with. I'd love to know if anyone has ever had any experience buying gear in dive shops overseas. Is it a better deal? I'm headed to Playa del Carmen, Mexico in January and I'm not sure if I should buy here or wait until I get there.

I'm eager to hear stories and meet some of you during my travels.

Welcome to the he Board.
At the risk of telling you what you already know, If you’re still in Tampa, the drive over to Jupiter and WPB for the drift diving is worth it.
In traveling, i bring everything but tank of by car, and if flying the weight belt stays home. Can’t help you with the buying question, but enjoy Carmen, and best wishes.

Thank you!

I got to Mexico the day after you posted. I got my Rescue Diver and EFR (PADI) while in Tulum. I'm in PDC now. I'm very certain about getting a regulator first now, but if I can figure out how to drop more weight then I might add a few more pieces.

Thank you!

I got to Mexico the day after you posted. I got my Rescue Diver and EFR (PADI) while in Tulum. I'm in PDC now. I'm very certain about getting a regulator first now, but if I can figure out how to drop more weight then I might add a few more pieces.

A good way to save some weight is to wear your BCD on the flight

I'd love to know if anyone has ever had any experience buying gear in dive shops overseas. Is it a better deal?
It's a mixed bag. Scubapro prices by region, so you can get scubapro stuff cheaper outside the USA. Not all manufacturers do that, many aren't from the US. All of the Johnson Outdoors subsidiaries probably do (they own scubapro and some other large brands).

Are you going to service your own stuff? If so, something like a deep6 where the manufacturer actively supports DIY maintenance would be a good choice.

Although I love my bp/w, you can get soft BCD's that are lighter and take up less room for travel. I can't really say what I'd do if I had to live out of a carry-on full time. Probably just carry a mask and titanium reg (ti regs are supposed to be lighter). Rent the rest.

the Scubapro Hydros Pro is a great travel BCD and when you strip the weight pockets and other crap off, is basically a BPW. I think my whole rig is around 7 pounds with all the d-rings and stuff. otherwise go with a flexible backplate like the oxycheq and wing.

i can fit all my gear including fins and a weeks worth of clothes in a carry-on. I dive in chuck taylors so I wear those on the airplane. first stages go in my pockets or my personal item bag. if you take apart the regulator you can put the hoses in your inside coat pocket, too. I actually sewed huge pockets on the inside of my rain jacket for carrying stuff. I'm sure you know by now that anywhere you go you can get cheap and fast laundry service as well as a tshirt here and there as needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom