Hello From Central Wisconsin!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DmitriC

New
Reaction score
Hey all! I'm a newer diver finishing college up here in Stevens Point. Any frequent divers in the area? I'm looking to hook up with a few buddies and do some weekend diving in the area. I hear Devil's lake and Wazee are pretty good spots. Eventually I would like to get into doing some wreck dives; Lake Michigan, Lake Superior, wherever really.

Welcome to SB! While I was in Madison for work last summer I did two dives at Devil's Lake with a group of locals from Madison Scuba. They do regular Tuesday evening/ night dives at a couple of different sites around the area during the summer. Nice folks and very accommodating with making arrangements since I was coming in from out of town. Viz wasn't great, but it was still a good time and I actually saw more fish on the night dive than on the first dive.

Mark

There are beginner's wrecks on southern Lake Michigan. Depths around 50ft or shallower. I've done them myself.

Welcome!

I don't think it exists anymore, but 20 years ago there was a UWSP Scuba Club and we dove as much as we could get away with. Is there somebody that was in your class with similar wishes? I was at Devils Lake last weekend, and vis and temp were good. I've heard a lot of complaints about the vis at Wazee this year, but I haven't been there lately to see for myself. Tell Bob, at Divepoint, that he should put together a Munising, MI trip.

Hey folks thanks for the replies!

Mark,
It's funny that you mention Madison Scuba, because I'm actually doing my second dive with them tomorrow at Devil's Lake. I'm pretty excited; in all my years of living in Wisconsin, I've never actually been there.

Marie,
Whats wrecks would you be referring to? The areas around Milwaukee are the parts that I would really like to dive.

Chris,
Sadly I don't think a club exists anymore. I have heard a lot about the wrecks in Munising, my major concern with the cold up there. I was always under the impression that those were drysuit dives.

I'm talking about wrecks off Hammond, IN or Chicago. Boat I was on goes out of Hammond. Not that far of a drive for you.

Last edited:
It is possible to do some diving in the Great Lakes in a wetsuit. Several of the wrecks in Munising are shallow and in the bay. Drysuits are ideal, but you could certainly have a positive experience in a wetsuit.

I also dove a lot in Lake Emily, Sunset Lake, and Redgranite Quarry when I was in Stevens Point. Devils Lake will be a fun dive. There are a lot of fish to see and the water is warm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom