Hello From Baltimore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BMS_Erik

Registered
Reaction score
I am not a diver, I was looking for scuba forums to sell a compressor and cascade system I have. I guess like most forums you have to have a port count to do so? Can you provide what the requirement is?

To introduce my self, I am Erik from Baltimore Marine Safety. We provide Fire fighting and safety services onboard ocean going ships and tug boats. We provide safety gear as well. We are located in Baltimore, but cover many ports from Virginia to New york. We also provide safety equipment for fishing and recreational boats. We also provide Hydrotesting and refill of SCUBA, SCBA and Fire extinguishers.

Erik.

I am not a diver, I was looking for scuba forums to sell a compressor and cascade system I have. I guess like most forums you have to have a port count to do so? Can you provide what the requirement is?

To introduce my self, I am Erik from Baltimore Marine Safety. We provide Fire fighting and safety services onboard ocean going ships and tug boats. We provide safety gear as well. We are located in Baltimore, but cover many ports from Virginia to New york. We also provide safety equipment for fishing and recreational boats. We also provide Hydrotesting and refill of SCUBA, SCBA and Fire extinguishers.

Erik.
Hi Erik.

What is the cost of hydro and are you familiar with the round out procedure that is supposed to be performed on galvanized tanks?

Would help if you listed the model compressor, how many cascade tanks, and what size they are.

Welcome.

Erik.
Hello Erik! Welcome to the forum. Stay a while :)

Hi Erik.

What is the cost of hydro and are you familiar with the round out procedure that is supposed to be performed on galvanized tanks?

Would help if you listed the model compressor, how many cascade tanks, and what size they are.

Welcome.
Rob,

For hydrotesting there is no "procedure" other than to specific guidelines set fourth by the DOT specification number. When it comes to Scuba cylinders, cylinders mfg before 1992 out of AL6351 alloys are required to have an eddy current test to check for sustained load cracking within the threads and neck area. We do not perform this test as it is mostly done by the scuba shop.

The compressor is a Bauer M.E1 5000 psi compressor. I can provide more details via private message as I do not want to violate forum rules.

Rob,

For hydrotesting there is no "procedure" other than to specific guidelines set fourth by the DOT specification number. When it comes to Scuba cylinders, cylinders mfg before 1992 out of AL6351 alloys are required to have an eddy current test to check for sustained load cracking within the threads and neck area. We do not perform this test as it is mostly done by the scuba shop.

The compressor is a Bauer M.E1 5000 psi compressor. I can provide more details via private message as I do not want to violate forum rules.

I'm not really interested in aluminum tanks.

For steel; PST Technical Bulletin D100, as far as I know not set forth by the DOT. Although should be done to avoid a failed tank I don't think it's required? @tbone1004 would know I think.

What's the cost you charge to hydro tanks?

Rob,

DOT Special permit testing requires a roundout procedure for high pressure steel scuba tanks. Basically you pump them up to 90% of test pressure, release pressure, then run the hydro test. If you have a modern computerized testing system it is likely build into the profile for those special permits.

In technical terms this is not a special permit outline by DOT or CFR. With PST being the maker of the cylinder, they are providing a guideline to help retesters to hydro-test their cylinders with passed results by referencing pamphlets provider by DOT. What it breaks down to is that the cylinder requires a pre test before being actually tested to 100% of the test pressure. We do this for composite type cylinders(SCBA). If this process is not performed, the cylinder would fail. The hot dip acts the same as a composite when testing.

But to answer your question, Yes; we test them and there is no additional cost to do this for this type cylinder.

In technical terms this is not a special permit outline by DOT or CFR. With PST being the maker of the cylinder, they are providing a guideline to help retesters to hydro-test their cylinders with passed results by referencing pamphlets provider by DOT. What it breaks down to is that the cylinder requires a pre test before being actually tested to 100% of the test pressure. We do this for composite type cylinders(SCBA). If this process is not performed, the cylinder would fail. The hot dip acts the same as a composite when testing.

But to answer your question, Yes; we test them and there is no additional cost to do this for this type cylinder.

I have 15 steel tanks to do and 2 aluminum.. what do you charge / tank. If you want to move to DM then by all means we can.

Edit: he already did

Back
Top Bottom