Hello from Atlanta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RacerX113

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everyone.

Got my OW from NASDS almost 30 years ago and have been a vacation diver since then. My girlfriend just got her OW so we're planning on doing do more diving soon. Joined the site to do some research on where to go for a birthday dive trip coming up in August. Trying to decide between Roatan, and Belize, but open to other spots as well. Starting looking at the Padi website for resorts, was curious if anyone has had good luck using it.
Anyway this site looks like a great resource for everything Scuba related.

Thanks,
Doug

I've got some notes from researching Roatan as a destination, and staying at CocoView Dive Resort.

I dove Belize via live-aboard, aiming for what's said to be the best diving (the outer atolls region). Some people like to do land-based resorts. The farther out from the mainland, the better the diving may be...but then again, one of our posters likes to stay in the Placencia area, where Splash Divers gets good reports. Mainland Belize has its own attractions; on a cruise stop I once did an excursion by boat up New River with a walk in the rainforest; we visited Mask Temple, Tall Temple and Jaguar Temple (and climbed atop the first two). It was nice!

My Research Notes from planning a Roatan Trip - My Research Notes from Planning Roatan Trip
CocoView Trip Report May 2021 - Trip Report - CocoView Resort May 8-15, 2021

Hey Rich!
I've been busy reading many of your posts...Very informative. I keep going back and forth not only between the two locations but also if I want to do a live aboard or land based AI. Tough choices....going to look at more of your posts. :)

If you're looking to go next month, some places may be booked up (e.g.: CocoView Resort is really popular). It also doesn't leave you a lot of time to research. And then there's whatever's going on with the pandemic on a given day...

If it were me and I was trying to swing a trip that fast, one place I haven't been but would have a quick look into is Ambergris Caye, Belize. The rep. for diving isn't on par with the outer atolls, and it's not where you'll be roaming the mainland rainforest most likely, either, but reports gave me the impression it's touristy enough your girlfriend might enjoy it.

If she just got OW certified and hasn't been on a dive trip yet, I might not make a live-aboard her first dive trip. You could, and it might be magic, but there is that. Also, if you look at Aggressor Fleet's Caribbean offerings, they often have a big (> 30% off) sale about once a year; I think in 2020 it was in November. In other words, I don't pay list price for Aggressor Fleet live-aboards because I know a sale is probably coming. You can check their website (or Explorer Ventures' website) and look at specials.

Roatan has offerings that'd probably serve well, too. New divers are often rather unknown quantities, so with her in mind, a few questions to consider...

1.) How important is a sandy beach? Does it need to slope into the water for wading?
2.) Is shopping a big deal?
3.) Is she content laying around in a hammock reading or sunbathing, or does she need 'excursions?'
4.) How many dives/day might each of you want to do? If the answer's 'Oh, maybe 2, and we might take a day off to...' then live-aboards don't sound like a good option yet.

Hey Rich!
I've been busy reading many of your posts...Very informative. I keep going back and forth not only between the two locations but also if I want to do a live aboard or land based AI. Tough choices....going to look at more of your posts. :)

I wouldn't do an all-inclusive on Ambergris Caye. Too many great places to eat and lots of fun to be at had various beach bars, etc.

Is this a vacation trip with diving or diving trip. Big difference especially with a new diver.

Welcome to ScubaBoard! Please let us all know about your trip, once you take it!

After more hours of research, I'm narrowing it down a bit more. While I really like the idea of a live aboard, I think we'll save that until she has some more dives under her belt. Focusing in on Belize, mainly due all the reports of sand fleas and bugs in Roatan, All that being said now my choice is between San Pedro and staying out near the Atolls. I like San Pedro for the options of exploring the town, but from post on here stating that you have to have a mask on outside of the resort i'm leaning towards staying out at the Atolls(sounds like better diving) at either Blackbird or Huracan(little worried about no AC) or even possibly Turneff resort(very pricey...not sure it's worth the extra$).
Since I work for an Airline and fly standby I tend to make last minute choices and reservations based on flight availability...that may end up making my choice for me.:)
thanks for all the input you guys have provided and any further input you may have.

Hello everyone.

Got my OW from NASDS almost 30 years ago and have been a vacation diver since then. My girlfriend just got her OW so we're planning on doing do more diving soon. Joined the site to do some research on where to go for a birthday dive trip coming up in August. Trying to decide between Roatan, and Belize, but open to other spots as well. Starting looking at the Padi website for resorts, was curious if anyone has had good luck using it.
Anyway this site looks like a great resource for everything Scuba related.

Thanks,
Doug

There are local(ish) options for diving as well on the weekends. Loch Low Minn (Athens, TN) is about 2.5 hours from Atlanta, about 2 hours away is Dive Land park in Alabama (NE of Birmingham) and south of Birmingham is Blue Water Park (about 3 hours from Atlanta). There's a group on facebook called Georgia Dive Buddy Finder that you might consider joining if you'd like to meet other divers from the area as a bunch of us regularly dive together in one of those locations on the weekends. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom