Hello! Also, do people around here play underwater hockey?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squidawn

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello! I've been snorkeling since I was 6 or 7 and vacation diving since I got open water certified at 14, recently decided I want to dive more often and get more serious about skills and safety. I've started logging dives and I'm looking forward to a nitrox class and advanced open water later this year once I move to Colorado. I'm here to learn!

I'm curious if underwater hockey is popular with people here? I'm not particularly good at it but it is a fun way to keep up snorkeling and diving skills.

Never heard of it and I'm in Canada.

Yes played 'Underwater hockey' in the past, called 'Octopush' for years, Navy dive teams played it against other Navies ,
We played Singapore, Indonesia and the Royal Navy in Singapore in the 80s.
Very hard game, we also played water polo [ it was hard on the horses though :p].

I played underwater hockey for about 10 years when I was younger. It's a great game for fitness and building lung capacity. Main reason I stopped playing was chronic wrist pain - even though it's a "non-contact" sport, wrists take a bit of a beating when tackling.

It certainly will improve snorkeling skills. As for diving, I don't think it'll necessarily improve skills per se, but it will absolutely build confidence in the water.

Yes played 'Underwater hockey' in the past, called 'Octopush' for years, Navy dive teams played it against other Navies ,
We played Singapore, Indonesia and the Royal Navy in Singapore in the 80s.
Very hard game, we also played water polo [ it was hard on the horses though :p].

Awesome. Did you ever play with those old 2- or 3-foot long sticks, or those sticks that are straight with a U shape on the front? It's definitely a good workout, I think it's very fun. I've never tried water polo. Or land polo!

a "non-contact" sport

Every team has that one guy who's totally focused on the puck and kicks people left right and center. But even when everyone's being careful you can get some good bruises.

Welcome to ScubaBoard and congratulations on bringing up an underwater topic that I've never heard of before, nor seen discussed on SB!!

Hello! I've been snorkeling since I was 6 or 7 and vacation diving since I got open water certified at 14, recently decided I want to dive more often and get more serious about skills and safety. I've started logging dives and I'm looking forward to a nitrox class and advanced open water later this year once I move to Colorado. I'm here to learn!

I'm curious if underwater hockey is popular with people here? I'm not particularly good at it but it is a fun way to keep up snorkeling and diving skills.

I used to play underwater hockey, in the early 80s. In Edmonton, Canada.

My son Giacomo di play underwater hockey for al most ten yer. He is 26 now, he started at 16 and worked hard on it, to the point that for 2 years he was a member, and lately the capitan, of the Italian national team. He did take part to a number of international tournaments.
Here in Italy Underwater Hockey is practised in at least 20 cities, and the number of practitioners is growing.
However it is not as popular as water polo, mainly because public has almost no view of what's happening underwater.
It is quite easy to pass out: and my son finally gave up, as he was feeling that such a systematic deprivation of oxygen could damage his brain.

Back
Top Bottom