Hello All!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Murph88

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My name is Murphy, and I recently entered the world of SCUBA again. I was originally certified south of Playa Del Carmen, Mexico and recently had the absolute adventure of my life in the Philippines! While there, I was recertified for open water in Puerto Galera and received my advanced open water cert. in Moalboal.

Now I know a few things I really need and there are some things I don't even know I need yet, I'm sure! Looking forward to learning and sharing experiences and knowledge with many other divers!!!

Safe diving and adventures to everyone!

Welcome. The Philippines, eh? You've already been a lot farther afield than I have.

Richard.

howdy and welcome from southeast florida....

Welcome. The Philippines, eh? You've already been a lot farther afield than I have.

Richard.
Hey Richard, looks like we're neighbors practically! Haha

I'd really like to know what places there are in this part of the country you've been. I'm really missing the underwater world!!

Up north, in the city of Hopkinsville in southwestern KY, is Pennyroyal Blue Spring Resort. Would be a bit of a drive for you. Martha's Quarry in the Nashville area I've heard of; haven't been there, and I'm under the impression it doesn't have near as much in onsite services. Tennessee has Dale Hollow Lake; I've been twice, and viz. was bad, but with a group eating hotdogs & riding around on pontoon boats with some diving here and there, a fun day.

I know people dive in Arkansas, but I'd moved away from Arkansas long before I got into diving.

But for the kind of action I think most people get into diving for, you're looking at trips. Key Largo was great; you might also consider shore diving Bonaire, boat diving Roatan, Belize or the Caymans... But I doubt anything in this region is going to match what I've read the Philippines are like.

Richard.

Thanks Richard,

I'm very spoiled now, but I want to improve my skills and see what different places have to offer. I've heard Ouachita Lake in Arkansas is good, as well as Greers Ferry. Neither is out of reach for a long weekend depending on work.

I'm actually going back to the Phils in about a month... love with that place!! I've seen just a small part and can't wait to see much more. As far as trips, I'm a poor man's diver haha. If there are other safe, tropical places I can go and stay for an extended period of time for anything like the low cost of the Phils, I'm all in! I spent 2 months there, and will be there another 2 months this spring before work season really kicks in. If you or anyone you know would ever consider going to a place like that, I now know my way around and how to live very well for very little!

Take care,
Murphy

Hi:

Been mulling over your last post for awhile. It'd be a worthy topic for an independent thread where it'd get more notice, with a topic like, oh, say...

Best budget/value dive trip options for south-central U.S. diver

But let's expand on the idea here 1st. You asked about safe, tropical places practical for an extended stay. I've got a few questions to help others understand your question.

1.) Are you mainly after a dive vacation (e.g.: getting a large # of enjoyable dives; other considerations secondary)? Or are you after a vacation with some diving (e.g.: rain forest hikes, visiting Mayan ruins, interfacing with locals, watching 'native' shows (e.g.: Hawaiin luau), need to entertain non-divers, etc...)?

2.) Are you open to live-aboard? Basically, you & your 15 new closest friends on a yacht for 7 days, something like that, getting in 25 - 27 dives maybe?

3.) Why an extended stay? To indulge in topside activities, or because you think you need that time to get in a lot of dives? Because live-aboard diving might change your mind. Do a 10 day live-aboard at 4 - 5 dives/day most days...

4.) What kind of place do you need to stay? Are you a backpacker type open to hostels, is A.C. optional, etc...?

Backpacker types open to hostels brings to my mind what I've read about Utila, as an option, but Utila's got more, even a luxury place was in a trip report here awhile back. Bonaire can be fairly cheap on-island, it's the airfare that kills the trip cost. Round trip airfare's the same no matter how long you stay, so averaged over a few weeks, total trip cost gets cheaper.

From what I read of Philippines diving, gotta tell you, I don't think anything Caribbean is going to match it (be interesting to see if anyone posts a contrary opinion), but if you can appreciate a destination for what it is, there's a lot of good diving to be had.

Richard.

P.S.: I gotta ask; are those plane rides not killing you? By the time I come off a near 4 hour plane ride to Bonaire, I'm half stir crazy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom