Hello all

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chrisdc

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all. I'm a newly PADI open water certified diver in SE PA. I have already signed up for a NAUI Advanced OW class but I'm having some issues finding gear. There is so much info out there it is hard to sort through it all. I've gone to two local dive shops and they don't really seem interested in selling anything. I went with the intention of buying a full set of gear (I have nothing, not even a mask) and they just say "there are a lot of options". Where can I get some straight/sound advice on what would work for decent gear? I plan to do ~20 dives/year in Jamaica, ~4 dives a year in the OBX, and maybe several dives in NJ and PA. I don't plan to to very cold water diving (not a fan of the cold). I'm thinking a back inflate BC sounds good (from what I have read) but which one? What kind of reg and octo? So many questions. Any help is appreciated.

You'll find a lot of fans of the backplate and wing configuration, including myself. I just bought another for my newly certified wife, and she immediately fell in love with the streamlined functionality of it. I bought the Dive Gear Express special package, only $299. http://www.divegearexpress.com/other/bargain.shtml#3330

For regulators the options are wide open. There's not a massive difference between any of them. One might breathe a little easier, or be a little lighter than another. Pick whatever you can get for a fair price and can get service for it locally. Also, I prefer first stage styles that have the hoses coming straight out the sides. The round ones that end up having hoses coming out in a circular pattern are not as streamlined. This is the layout you want: https://diveimports.com/images/uploads/SRB1000H_Front.jpg

One thing I would not buy online is a mask. Fit is very important and you need to try several on to find the best one for you.

Computer. I like a wrist mounted computer and a separate pressure gauge. Many like air integrated computers, and many will be along shortly to vouch for one over the other in this thread. Here there a tons of options. The Suunto Zoop is very popular and priced right too. http://www.scuba.com/shop/productde...=Suunto Zoop&gclid=CLDIhPSatr0CFSsQ7AodhTMAIg

Fins. Anything but split fins. The Aeris Accel is a top notch choice. http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=AerisAccelFin

Wetsuit and boots depend on your cold tolerance. You'll probably end up with a 3mm for Jamaica and a 5 or 7 mil for the northeast.

Where can I get some straight/sound advice on what would work for decent gear?
How close are you to Canonsburg? Try contacting [user]Jim Lapenta[/user]

It's hard to advise because there are so many choices, and preferences vary widely.

1.) Mask - I've tried a few, and for me, a $30 or so AquaLung SeaQuest Visage fits as well or better than any, including an Atomic mask I've got. But it might not work for you. If you know some other divers and have access to a pool or quarry, trying a few brand/models could save you money.

2.) Reg. - Atomic, ScubaPro, Apeks, AquaLung, all reputable. So are HOG. As mentioned above, a brand that a local dive shop will do routine servicing on locally is a plus.

3.) Octopus - one that breathes well costs more. If money is not tight, one that's the same brand as your primary reg. may be a simple choice.

4.) You may or may not want to talk about 'long hose' configuration, where for an OOA buddy you use the octo. & donate your primary. But this may complicate life more than you wish.

5.) Computers - console or wrist? Air-integrated or not? For console, I'd consider an Oceanic Pro Plus 3. If you've really got some money to spend, an Atomic Aquatics Cobalt 2 (be sure you get a 2, not a 1). For wrist units, there are many. The Oceanic VT4 air-integrated seems well-regarded. If you've got more money, the LiquiVision Lynx would offer you the option to find each other when diving with a like-equipped buddy. A lot of people love the Shearwater Petrel, but air-integration is not an option. I prefer computers with user-replaceable batteries, and a PC download kit that lets me download the computer's dive log to my computer, so I can max. depth, average depth, sac rate, nitrogen loading, total dive time, etc...without taking so many notes at the dive site.

6.) Fins - I like split fins, not everybody does. Whatever kind of fin you settle on, consider getting spring straps, which many people do agree on as a nice touch.

7.) Get a cutting tool (or 2) in case you get into some fishing line underwater; the Trilobyte is a fine choice that takes up very little space (I've got one in a pouch on my BCD webbing & you'd hardly know it's there). Jim Lapenta, mentioned above, sells them. For knives, I strongly prefer either Spyderco H-1 steel, or titanium steel, because regular stainless steel knives rust. The latter are not cheaper after a couple rust up on you. If you're not meticulous about post dive knife care, believe me now or later! 2 Cutting tools, located at different places on you, help make sure you can reach at least one. Some people like EMT shears.

8) BCD - this can be contentious. Jacket style are far & away most common in recreational diving. But you see BP&W advocated a lot on the forum, and especially for people into technical diving, where versatility lets divers use double tanks, etc... I haven't used a BP&W. If I were going to, I'd want someone like Lapenta to sell it to me and help me get the thing's webbing custom fitted. With BP/W, a steel back plate is heavier & lets you use less extra lead, but an aluminum back plate is lighter for air travel. Jacket BCD's, on the other hand, seem to be more 'off the rack.' I dive a Sherwood Avid and like it fine, but my experience isn't broad on these. If you want even more choices to confuse you, there are side-mount BCDs.

9.) Get an SMB and finger spool. This inflatable brightly colored tube will let the dive boat see you way easier if you surface a good bit from it, and help rescuers find you. Very nice backup to have with ocean diving.

10.) Find out if your local waters diving usually entails using a dive light, even on day dives. If so, you'll want a primary and perhaps a smaller, backup light.

Richard.

Thanks for all the advice. I wound up getting a Pinnacle wetsuit package, Aeris A2 Octopus, Aeris A300 XT Computer Console with Compass, Aeris AT 600 ION Swivel Regulator, Aeris Biojac BCD, Tusa fins, and a Cressi mask and snorkel from Leisure Pro. I figured I would get a package with a decent regulator and computer and a cheaper BC that I can upgrade when I more familiar with the options. Now I'm just waiting on some warmer weather.

Happy diving! Hope the package works out well for you. In time you may get a better idea of how much diving you're likely to do, which may give you a better idea of how much it's worth it to you to invest in gear.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom