Hello all- I need Belize advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lemurs2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've searched through the forums for info but not finding quite what I need. There are 2 of us going to Belize towards the end of Aug. for the 1st time. We have gone diving in Southern California a few times, been to Utila and Roatan in Feb and the Cook islands in 04 for diving, so we have a total of about 40 dives each.
Since being first timers we can't decided between doing a liveaboard or not PLUS should we hit Ambergris or maybe head down south whether on liveaboard or land based.
I saw that Nekton does north or south belize
Thanks in advance

If you want to try a liveaboard Belize is a good place to do it. They will get you to the best diving in Belize, which is quite a distance for the land based ops so not something you would be doing everyday (unlesss you actually stay out on one of the atolls.)

To me ...if you've got a week to spend it's a no brainer ...LIVEABORD.

Contact the Nekton and see if they have room that week on the Nekton Pilot.

'Slogger

Footslogger:
To me ...if you've got a week to spend it's a no brainer ...LIVEABORD.

Contact the Nekton and see if they have room that week on the Nekton Pilot.

'Slogger

Okay, Nekton is out because they won't be in that area at the end of Aug. Has any one been with any other company?

I have done both a liveaboard and a three week trip to Belize.

If you are an avid diver and what you want to do is dive and not see Belize then do the liveaboard. I did Nekton so have no opionion re the other operators other than to say they were diving exactly the same spots as the Nekton and the boats looked very nice to dive from. Would give Agressor or Peter Hughes a look.

If I wanted to see some of Belize and only had a week and wanted to get a fair amount of diving in I would go to Ambergrese and/or Calker. Perhaps take a tour or two inland from that point.

Points south of Belize City are quite a ways from the reef so a 2 tank dive will pretty much take all day - most of it on a boat. Nice diving, but I prefer Ambergrise as I can get 2 dives in and then spend the afternoon and evening doing other things (or more diving) Placencia was a nice spot to visit the southern part of the country from.

Do not consider staying in Belize City and diving. Not recommended.

I was in Belize last year and stayed at the Turneffe Island Lodge. Awesome place...private island....great dive op. If you want secluded and quiet, it's the place to go.

www.turneffelodge.com

lemurs2:
Okay, Nekton is out because they won't be in that area at the end of Aug. Has any one been with any other company?
I am currently researching a new small (12 passenger) liveaboard that operates out of Belize City called the Tabutne. I believe you can reach them at 'Tabutnediving.com'. This looks very interesting, but I have been trying to find info from someone who has actually tried them, and so far no go. Maybe you will have better luck. Woody

Thanks Woody, I'll check that out and post if I find anything

I would recommend splittting your time between land and scuba adventures. There is so much to see in Belize--it is an amazing country. We ususally dive half the trip (we have done this out of Ambergris, Placencia, Glover's and Lgihthouse Atoll) and then spend the other part of the trip in the western part of the country--there are several amazing cave trips (the last cave trip I did was maybe even better than the diving--Actun cave aka Crystal Maiden Cave--truly incredible) and wildlife trips (monkeys, manatees), pretty waterfalls, hiking, mayan ruins--tikal in guatemala is spectacular too. If you have the time, do both. Otherwise, definately get out to the atolls. It is really easy to get around belize--either rental car or bus it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom