Heavy undergarment for drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Soon I will pull the trigger and get a Seaskin Nova Drysuit. I have to get a heavy undergarment for lake diving and winter sea diving. Honestly I would like to avoid spending too much, so I know that Santi etc. would be an excellent choice but if possible I would like to get something cheaper than that. For summer, I believe I can manage with a crappy undergarment. For the cold lake waters it is vital to have good quality undergarments

There are several possible options, among them:
Seaskin (together with the drysuit; maybe the only custom made option)
Subgear
Weezle
Santi
Kwark Navy Polaterc
etc. etc.
Which one would you suggest?
Thanks

Are you doing long exposure time, or significant deco? Ie you can't get out of the water immediately? If so chose at least an undersuit that retains isolation even with a flooding of your drysuit. You don't want to be in a situation where you need to finish some deco, have a leak and realise that your undersuit has zero isolation when wet.

Thinsulate is the material of choice for these scenarios (retaining isolation even when wet). So I would a garment that has this.

I've dived weezle (warm but needing significant amounts of lead to keep warm, because it relies on air to isolate you), DUI and Santi, and both the DUI and Santi (BZ400 for winterdiving or the 450 from DUI) are incredibly warm, while retaining isolation while wet.

Cheers

b

If you are truly looking for warmth then I recommend the Aqualung Fusion Thermal....I have one and have only used it a couple of times because it is too warm for me unless the water temp is between 2°C and 4°C.

-Z

Are you doing long exposure time, or significant deco? Ie you can't get out of the water immediately? If so chose at least an undersuit that retains isolation even with a flooding of your drysuit. You don't want to be in a situation where you need to finish some deco, have a leak and realise that your undersuit has zero isolation when wet.
Thinsulate is the material of choice for these scenarios (retaining isolation even when wet). So I would a garment that has this.

I am not planning to make dives with long exposure time, at least not right now, but your suggestion of getting Thinsulate in case of leaks sounds wise anyway, both for my present needs and in case I want to progress on the path of technical diving one day...

I report here the Seaskin undergarments as an example, and their prices in British pounds

Seaskin Undersuit High Wick Thinsulate 250 £134.40
Seaskin Undersuit High Wick Thinsulate 150 £120.00
Seaskin Shorty Undersuit -Thinsulate 150 £69.00
Seaskin Knee High Sox – Thinsulate 150 £29.00

Apart from the "main" undergarments, which ones would you get and consider useful? For example the socks, the shorty, etc. are they really useful?

I report here the Seaskin undergarments as an example, and their prices in British pounds

Seaskin Undersuit High Wick Thinsulate 250 £134.40
Seaskin Undersuit High Wick Thinsulate 150 £120.00
Seaskin Shorty Undersuit -Thinsulate 150 £69.00
Seaskin Knee High Sox – Thinsulate 150 £29.00

Apart from the "main" undergarments, which ones would you get and consider useful? For example the socks, the shorty, etc. are they really useful?

The 250gram undersuit...the rest, I recommend not buying. I would only recommend the 150gram if you don't already have lighter undergarments to wear when the water isnt as cold. Perhaps getting the thinner one more form fit so that it can be worn under the 250gr one.

Wool socks work well, no need to pay 30 pounds sterling for socks, and one really does not need knee high ones.

-Z

I think anyway that 250 gr are not enough for northern Italy lakes in full winter. People here use 400 gr in winter, as far as I know
Still, having 2 undergarments can be useful. Eventually one would get
400 gr --> winter in the lakes
250 gr--> spring or late autumn in the lakes; possibly winter in the Mediterranean
5+5 wet--> summer in the lake or sea

Heavy wool sweaters from goodwill. You can even layer thinner cashmere. You can make pants from them. Dozens of tutorials for sweater pants (swamps)

I think anyway that 250 gr are not enough for northern Italy lakes in full winter. People here use 400 gr in winter, as far as I know
Still, having 2 undergarments can be useful. Eventually one would get
400 gr --> winter in the lakes
250 gr--> spring or late autumn in the lakes; possibly winter in the Mediterranean
5+5 wet--> summer in the lake or sea

You are right. 200-250 gr is not enough for winter, unless you start layering. I live in N italy too (for the moment) and the avg temp is indeed to low in lakes for less than 400. Sea is a different matter.

I'm using a very old BZ400 (it's from 2008 so it's probably less than a 200 in warmth), but in winter I'll use a heating vest under it. I've bought a new one and the old one is now relegated to sea diving and summer diving in lakes. Caves and winter is BZ400 territory.

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom